Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camp Bird Rd closed to climbers

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camp Bird Rd closed to climbers

Postby d_baker » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:08 pm

This was posted on coloradoclimbers.org, and I thought people over here would be interested in reading about this:

http://www.watchnewspapers.com/view/full_story/21840965/article-Tension-Mounts-Between-Miners-and-Climbers-on-the-Camp-Bird-Road%E2%80%A8?instance=top_story

Also, this quote from the article:

"The work session teased out the mounting tension between the mine companies, which operate under a strict set of safety regulations spelled out by state and federal agencies, and members of the recreating public.

This tension will likely come to a head in the coming months, as the relatively slim numbers of winter backcountry enthusiasts give way to summer’s hordes, who often do not take care to distinguish between public and private property in the high country and feel entitled to access it all.

Next summer, Star Mine Operations Manager John Trujillo warned, “We will engage in an aggressive posting of all of our property. A lot of former recreational opportunities will be gone. We can’t take it in the shorts every time someone doesn’t like the fact we put a drill pad in the road
.”"

Read more: Watch Newspapers - Tension Mounts Between Miners and Climbers on the Camp Bird Road

Re: Camp Bird Rd closed to climbers

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:08 am

Boo. I never realized how much ice was along that road until I started researching my waterfalls book, Darin. I think I counted about half a dozen *other* falls between Box Canyon and Twin Falls. That's a lot of ice!

Postby osprey » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 am

That area is where I first learned to ice climb in 1981. At that time there was only one motel and two restaurants open in Ouray during winter. We could spend a whole week ice climbing and see maybe at most 1-2 other parties. Sad to hear that so many classic climbs are now closed. I never realized it was on private property - always assumed it was Forest Service land.

Postby schrund » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:44 pm

I'd love to know who posted that sign and if it is accurate. I can understand the miners wanting to claim the whole road as their private road, but I wonder...
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby justiner » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:03 pm

schrund wrote:I'd love to know who posted that sign and if it is accurate. I can understand the miners wanting to claim the whole road as their private road, but I wonder...

It says in the fine article (as well as the caption photo),

County Administrator Connie Hunt, meanwhile, tactfully admonished [Ouray County Road and Bridge Superintendent Chris] Miller for erecting the sign without first running it by her. “I would suggest that in the future we talk about the wordsmithing of signs, and make sure I’m aware of it,” she said. “Maybe there is a way to word the sign that addresses [the issue] and warns of liability but doesn’t make people feel like it’s a ‘Thou Shalt Not.’”
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Define "within 60 feet".
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:31 pm

"The work session teased out the mounting tension between the mine companies, which operate under a strict set of safety regulations spelled out by state and federal agencies, and members of the recreating public.

This tension will likely come to a head in the coming months, as the relatively slim numbers of winter backcountry enthusiasts give way to summer’s hordes, who often do not take care to distinguish between public and private property in the high country and feel entitled to access it all.

Next summer, Star Mine Operations Manager John Trujillo warned, “We will engage in an aggressive posting of all of our property. A lot of former recreational opportunities will be gone. We can’t take it in the shorts every time someone doesn’t like the fact we put a drill pad in the road
.”"

What the heck is that supposed to mean? Are they really planning on building drill pads in the middle of public county roads now? Who is the one who feels "entitled"? The one who wants to keep a public road open to the public, or the one that wants to block the public road for their own private gain?

I can understand the issues with actual private land, and I full understand that those private mining claims span across the road, but I don't think that gives them the right to block off passage across said private land along the public county road, does it? I don't know enough about the laws to know how it wall works, I know there are a few miners and lawyers on this site, what do you folks know about this kind of thing?
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Scott P » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:51 pm

I can understand the issues with actual private land, and I full understand that those private mining claims span across the road, but I don't think that gives them the right to block off passage across said private land along the public county road, does it?

Agreed. They have a right to post their property as private, but to not block the county road.

Are they really planning on building drill pads in the middle of public county roads now?

Not sure, but I think they mean hauling the rig on the road rather than building on in the road?

It sounds like (?) with climbers parking on the road, they may be having a hard time getting their big equipment down the road?
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby schrund » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks Justiner! Lord knows countless windshields have been broken by debris falling off haul trucks so liability goes both ways~
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby d_baker » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Fletch wrote:Darin - I just noticed. What the hell are you doing in Louisiana? Good lord... :wft:

Working to live, while dreaming of Colorado. 4-5 month gig, and I've been here a month now.

Postby Garrett » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:11 am

In regard to the drill sites I think he was referring more to other areas further up the basin that are on mining claims and old mine roads that had always been open for Jeepers and whoever to use until they started working recently and not to the county road.

It is too bad that they closed it this way but I imagine they'll come to some some middle ground once the ice climbing and public voice is heard. I was up there climbing the week prior to them putting the new sign up and watched a climber swing the obviously closed but unlocked gate open to park inside. When we came down at the end of the day a guy from the mine needed to lock the gate that now had 3 cars parked on the wrong side. He was nice and friendly to us when we walked past and I can understand the frustration and desire to be more regimented since he probably had to go find 3 people to move their vehicles before he ended the day. That probably is somewhat on a regular basis. I think they could have gone about it better by seeking more local political support and input to solve the issue. As someone in this realm of the mining industry that may have been the better choice. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:37 am

d_baker wrote:
Fletch wrote:Darin - I just noticed. What the hell are you doing in Louisiana? Good lord... :wft:

Working to live, while dreaming of Colorado. 4-5 month gig, and I've been here a month now.

Three words of advice: "Lists of John."

What a great opportunity to put a dent in that 0ers list!

Next