Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Igloo at Copper Far East parking area

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Igloo at Copper Far East parking area

Postby spiderman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 am

Adam, Dan, Arthur and myself built an 11' diameter igloo near the Far East parking area at Copper (directly across the highway from the main free Aspen lot). We had a tough time deciding which size to make, but figured the bigger the better. To find the igloo, park next to the Far East trailhead and walk east for fifty feet to the information board. Turn right and you will see it in the trees. The entrance tunnel is on the east (downhill) side of the igloo and can be seen on the left side of the above picture.

The igloo sleeps six and we welcome other people to try it out. It is in such a convenient location, being situated just minutes off I-70. It should be close to 40 degrees inside, regardless of outside air temperature. The walls are amazing insulation, both in terms of heat and in regards to sound. Please bring a shovel to make additional improvements/repairs. The floor will need to be re-leveled each night. Also if you plan to cook inside, it needs to have a 2" diameter ventilation hole drilled in the roof. Post the conditions of the igloo if you have any fresh beta.

Thanks Igloo Ed for such an amazing Ice Box. We had more fun building the shelter than skiing at Copper. The warm snow conditions made building the igloo much easier. Hope that this isn't deemed too commercially-oriented post, but he is one of us and has a great product. http://www.grandshelters.com/icebox-igloo.html

Igloo.jpg
Igloo.jpg (211.19 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

Re: Igloo at Copper Far East parking area

Postby Igloo Ed » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Glad you had sticky snow, especially for building an eleven footer. That is a huge undertaking but it is a huge igloo too.
I hope you get to use the igloos in your climbing.

Postby climbingaggie03 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:22 am

Hahahaha, I lived in a grand shelters igloo for a season in that general area. Glad to see another one built nearby, I might stop by and see it next time I'm up there.

Postby realhillboarding » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Here's a pic of the igloo from 3/8, we had a toasty night sleeping in there! Does anyone know if it survived the last warm spell? I'm thinking of heading up to stay in it at some point this week.

Postby realhillboarding » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:44 am

monday morning bump - anyone know if this is still standing well enough to sleep in it?

Thanks!

Postby mike_kadow » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 am

realhillboarding wrote:monday morning bump - anyone know if this is still standing well enough to sleep in it?

Thanks!

Can't say for sure, but from my experience with igloos, it'd be fine to sleep in. An 11 footer is huge!
The recent snow has only insulated it more and I'd think it'd be good for at least another month, barring 80 degree temps outside which would cause the wall to sag a bit.
If you're like me and need a level surface to sleep on, I'd suggest bringing a shovel to level out the bench/sleeping area by throwing more snow on it and then packing it down.
If you go, let us know how it is. :)
Don't forget to poke a hole in the top for the gas to escape.

Postby realhillboarding » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Stayed in the igloo last night and it's still standing strong! It hardly even lost any height with the last warm spell!

Postby mike_kadow » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:01 pm

realhillboarding wrote:Stayed in the igloo last night and it's still standing strong! It hardly even lost any height with the last warm spell!

Cool! Sounds like it was built soundly on a good foundation too.
I haven't seen it personally - are the walk-ways good or would a good shoveling be in order?
And how was the level(ing) inside?

Postby climbingaggie03 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:35 am

I checked it out this past weekend and it's still there, it's sagged some around the door and to the south side of the door as well, I'd say it'd still sleep 3 comfortably, 4 tight. The floor is relatively level/smooth but could use a bit of scraping/filling in with fresh snow. The ceiling and walls could use some love to smooth them out so the melt will run down the walls instead of dripping on you.

I found the mud room/entry chamber interesting, I'm curious about how it was built and how it's worked.

I didn't have any trouble getting in and out of the igloo, I skied to the igloo so I'm not sure if you could get to it without snow shoes/skis/post holing.

Postby Igloo Ed » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:01 am

mike_kadow wrote:
Cool! Sounds like it was built soundly on a good foundation too.
I haven't seen it personally - are the walk-ways good or would a good shoveling be in order?
And how was the level(ing) inside?

I went up yesterday and found Frank's igloo to be in fine shape. It is only tall enough for me to kneel in but the shape looks great.
We built the igloo on Feb. 22nd at 10,300 ft,
I think it's the shade from the rock and the snowload on the east side protecting it from the morning sun.