Where have people had trouble with marmots/porcupines?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Where have people had trouble with marmots/porcupines?

Post by painless4u2 »

hunting varmits.jpg
hunting varmits.jpg (11.04 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
Or you could just invite Bill Murray along...
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

I think you'll be fine there. I've certainly never had problems in the Sawatch Range
MatB
14ers: 22  1  1 
13ers: 98 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MatB »

Mosquito Range, Mt. Arkansas. Marmots/porcupines chewed up a few wires. Car could run but not well. The Honest Mechanic in Denver charged me $50 for what the Jeep dealership in Silverthorne quoted me at $600.

Porcupines came into my vestibule during my trip along the Four Pass Loop to chew on my helmet, pack, and poles. Shouting only temporarily scared them off. They left me alone after I pulled everything with salt on it into my tent. Oh and porcupines are MUCH bigger than I imagined.

The beginning of June, I had something chewing on my vehicle along Castle Creek Road as I went to sleep. I got out (of my car) once or twice, turned the car on once and eventually fell asleep worried I'd awake an immobile vehicle. Fortunately, everything was okay in the morning.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity
dmdoug
14ers: 15 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmdoug »

michaelgrundy wrote:Does anyone have any better ways of wrapping their vehicle with chicken wire? I did this setup 2 weeks ago and it seemed to work fine but I figure there is always room for improvement.
The attachment ChickenWire.JPG is no longer available
I used 6 3' pieces of rebar to pound around the truck (trying to save the paint) and I used some gardening wire to tie the chicken wire to the rebar. Lastly, I used bungee cords to hold the middle section up a little. (In case they tried pulling the wire down).

Thoughts?
I found this pic years ago on a Sierra based forum. It's chicken wire pulled tight on top of a roof underlayment or house wrap to keep from scratching your car. Just need some wire to tie it together. No pounding of rebar. I brought the materials with me to American Basin but didn't set it up and had no problem but I did spray coyote urine.
10495.jpg
10495.jpg (30.65 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
hoodayer
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hoodayer »

I invited Bill Murray but have yet to receive a response. I'll update if he accepts.
Max Moorman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Max Moorman »

SkiBikeClimb99 wrote:I think you'll be fine there. I've certainly never had problems in the Sawatch Range
Likewise. Never had a problem in the Sawatch range either.
sandyb
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sandyb »

I drove over Stony Pass out of Silverton a week ago and noted a Land Rover completely encircled in an elaborate chicken wire enclosure. I was curious, to say the least. On my return several days later, the Land Rover was partially blocking the pass and an older woman stopped me to see if I could assist her. She and her husband had just returned from an 8 day backpacking trip thru the Weminuche (and she wasn't a day younger than 75, if not in her 80s!!) only to find that the Marmots, which they were aware of and trying to deter with their chicken wire enclosure, had chewed thru the gas lines, other various tubing, some electric wires, and everything else they could chew on. All the gas was drained from the vehicle. The tires seemed perfectly intact. The woman told me marmots were a huge problem all thru the San Juan/Weminuche. The couple had used mothballs under the vehicle on a prior trip (I think that trip was 10 days:)) with the same outcome. I was a little surprised as I live in Durango and hadn't heard of the problem. If it's not in the Telegraph, I don't know about it! Anyway, I called my car dealership for advice, and they said people have successfully thwarted the marmots by driving over a tarp and bungee cording it to the top of the vehicle, essentially diapering the underparts of the car. Additionally, spraying with rodent/deer repellent seems to be a very good idea. For what it's worth...cuz a tow out of Silverton is probably not cheap. Course, they may chew thru the tarp as well...
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Ran across an interesting varmint-defense experiment in Navajo Basin this weekend.

On the way up Wilson Peak I ran across a tent pitched just below Rock of Ages saddle ... surrounded by an electric fence!

I ran into the owner on the summit - a gentleman from Florida who had his gear chewed up the year before.

He said that it was actually a bear fence that he modified to sit lower to the ground. Powered by two D-cell batteries, it's not going to electrocute anything, but he figured if it gives off enough of a zap to dissuade a bear, it should do for a marmot.

He said the entire apparatus weighed less than 4 pounds. He did indicate that the system cost about $260, so it's not cheap. I believe he said there were a bunch of marmots running around the area, but his tent appeared unmolested despite having been there overnight and left alone during his hike up Wilson Peak.

At 4 pounds, I'm not sure whether I'd personally pack this system in for tent protection miles from nowhere (versus just clearing my tent when I leave it alone for long periods), but it might have some benefits for reuseable car protection at a trailhead.

fence_small.jpg
fence_small.jpg (311.86 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
sandyb
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sandyb »

Electric fencing for car is an interesting idea. Cheaper than a tow , and reusable. I stopped by a friend's house in Dolores CO on Sunday, and they had just finished helping a neighbor chase a marmot out of their garage. It apparently rode in the engine compartment of their SUV, which had been parked on Stony Pass for several days. Witness Relocation program.
tarn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tarn »

Guanella Pass?

Has anyone had trouble at Guanella Pass campground or at Guanella Pass TH?
We're going to be camping there for a few days in about a week, and I would like to know if I should be concerned.

Thanks for the advice!
Tim
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

SkiBikeClimb99 wrote:... Never had any success with coyote urine...
Can you elaborate? Have you had critters blow past a coyote urine perimeter? Have others?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

DeTour wrote:
SkiBikeClimb99 wrote:... Never had any success with coyote urine...
Can you elaborate? Have you had critters blow past a coyote urine perimeter? Have others?

Porcupines and goats, yes. I tried it 2 years ago in Chi Basin with no luck defending against goats, but then again the can said Busch Light on the side. The place I bought it from said it was pretty much coyote urine, but I'm not completely sure.