Greys and Torreys - road conditions?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jekramak
Trip Reports (0)

Greys and Torreys - road conditions?

Post by jekramak »

Heading to Grays and Torreys tomorrow and am curious what shape the road is in. Anyone been in the area since the recent snowfall? Is it still possible to drive to the summer trailhead?
Dan Coates1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Greys and Torreys - road conditions?

Post by Dan Coates1 »

Hey there, I'm planning on heading to Grays and Torreys on Friday. Driving a rental (nissan versa) so any information on how you found the R.d./Route conditions would be appreciated.

Don't know if this is possible for you but I thought Id throw it out there. If your able to switch days and climb on friday I'd be interested in pairing up with some other hikers. I'm from the East Coast of Canada, most of my climbing is done in the White Mtns of N.H.. I've been climbing ice/mountaineering for about 15yrs and work as a professional fire fighter/first responder back home. I have also done some climbing/hiking in Alberta (Athabasca) and Washington state (Rainer, Adams, Helens etc).

Dan
jimmtman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by jimmtman »

I wish I knew about the road. I have a friend in from WA to do Torrey's on Monday and wanted to ask about road conditions.
Could you post an update after your trip?

Thanks!

Jim
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Dan Coates1 wrote:Driving a rental...
This is a perfect road to take a rental!! Do NOT tell them where you are going.

Joking aside, taking some tire chains will greatly improve a person's chances of reaching the trailhead if there is snow or ice.
jenkscolin
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jenkscolin »

I was up there last Saturday the 2nd and the road was completely clear of snow. Made it to the trailhead no problem in my Subaru impreza.
The smaller we come to feel ourselves compared with the mountain, the nearer we come to participating in its greatness - Arne Naess
jekramak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jekramak »

No conditions update - decided to head to Longs Peak Cirque and do some ice climbing instead
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Anyone been up there lately? Curious how far if at all you could get up the road in a car this last weekend. Yes I am aware they have received several inches of snow the past couple days.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

not exactly what you're looking for but I drove to the gate on the access road to dry gulch a couple days ago and was trenching through 8-16 inches of snow on a slippery surface. I was in a lifted taco and it was loose. Thats about 5 miles up the highway from grays and torreys but id guess that the bakerville road is not drivable.
Vincit Qui Patitur
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Drive up the road until you get stuck, then report back.

:mrgreen: