OPEN! was: Lily/Lindsey Road "Closed" (photos)

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lily/Lindsey Road "Closed" (photos)

Post by onebyone »

TallGrass wrote:Made some calls and found out work on the "new" road to go around the slide that was slated to start in May (per Huerfano County) has yet to start. Things have gotten pushed back as far as August in the past until conditions were suitable. When it dries up enough to be nice for hiking (and cycling?), it might also be good for construction crews (i.e. conflict).

TLDR: If trying for Lindsey this season, don't be surprised if conditions (man-made or not) throw a wrench in the works.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll just put it off until next year, unless something drastically changes.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Speaking of the road. How is the camping situation in the area after we reach the original trailhead? Are there campsites or places to put up camp some miles after the trailhead? Was looking to split this up into a multi day trip now because of the road.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Bombay2Boulder wrote:Speaking of the road. How is the camping situation in the area after we reach the original trailhead? Are there campsites or places to put up camp some miles after the trailhead? Was looking to split this up into a multi day trip now because of the road.
There are some excellent sites near the cutoff to Lindsey right by the river.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

painless4u2 wrote:There are some excellent sites near the cutoff to Lindsey right by the river.
Many of the "popular" places are too close to trail or water sources, including the area right after crossing the creek, after which there's no good spots until treeline near the foot of Huerfanito. Talked to a ranger who said the other side of that creek (heading towards Lindsey) is where the Wilderness starts, is a no camping area (proximity to trail and water), the Wilderness sign keeps disappearing (firepit?), and the fire rings keep getting rebuilt. Someone tried burning a 3' long, 2' dia log in one. :roll:

I think the road situation is a great excuse to make a multi-day hike out of Lindsey by looping in some Centennials (Huerfano, California) and or some 14ers from South Zapata.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

"I think the road situation is a great excuse to make a multi-day hike out of Lindsey by looping in some Centennials (Huerfano, California) and or some 14ers from South Zapata."

Sounds like a fun climb. What class would be that be? Anything over class 3?

On an unrelated note, TallGrass, I sent you a PM.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Update, target for completing road work is end of July. It's as firm as the earth is stable up there. :twisted:
Sean Nunn wrote:Sounds like a fun climb. What class would be that be? Anything over class 3?
Depends how you slice it. You could keep it at or below that using the trail to the ridge running North from California Peak and descending to Lily Lake. Going toward Hamilton from Blanca then down the buttress to Winchell Lakes is Class 4 I hear. There's a TR by Jason Halladay of doing that stretch with Aron R.
Ormes Buttress on Blanca Peak (14,345') and Hamilton Peak (13,658')
Think it was Bergsteigen who has gone between the ridge and Lily Lake and posted a TR, but not positive.

Descending the California ridge to the east toward the open area just south of the TH involves a lot of steep bushwhacking, DAMHIK. Not recommended. Lily Lake trail is pretty solid as trails go. South Zapata Lake TH has a NICE road to the TH, a good trail, and options to access the Huerfano basin via the North Fork Trail spur (CA Pk), Ellingwood (Crossfire route), or slugging up from SZL direct. The area is worth making a multi-day out of it versus a day hike.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

TallGrass wrote: Going toward Hamilton from Blanca then down the buttress to Winchell Lakes is Class 4 I hear.
Having done this route, there is one Class 4 move one must make coming off the south ridge of Blanca down a "ramp" to Winchell Lakes. Not terrible, though. If going to Lindsey, this would make for a very long return trip.
Descending the California ridge to the east toward the open area just south of the TH involves a lot of steep bushwhacking, DAMHIK. Not recommended. Lily Lake trail is pretty solid as trails go. South Zapata Lake TH has a NICE road to the TH, a good trail, and options to access the Huerfano basin via the North Fork Trail spur (CA Pk), Ellingwood (Crossfire route), or slugging up from SZL direct. The area is worth making a multi-day out of it versus a day hike.
If trying to reach the Huerfano River area (and Lindsey) I would not recommend using the Ellingwood (Crossfire or C2) approach from S. Zapata, unless you like unstable Class 5 stuff.

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

painless4u2 wrote:If going to Lindsey, this would make for a very long return trip.
Just Lindsey, yes. If to bag Centennials like Huerfano Peak and then California on the way out, no, just part of the loop: SZL TH, Ellingwood, Little Bear (SLB), Blanca, Lindsey, Huerfano, California, SZL TH. No Como nor Lily roads!
painless4u2 wrote:If trying to reach the Huerfano River area (and Lindsey) I would not recommend using the Ellingwood (Crossfire or C2) approach from S. Zapata, unless you like unstable Class 5 stuff.
I skipped those for C3 from the Upper Zapata Lake which is only Class 2 until right near Ellingwood's summit.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

An TH update has been posted by thebeave7 with some photos while scouting for his upcoming run. Good luck, Eric! :-D
More photos from different aspects from last season at start of thread.
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Update from The Signature (La Veta's newspaper):

"The county will soon be surveying and constructing a new stretch of County Road 580 that will go around the huge landslide that occurred last July 4. Board of County Commissioners Chairman Ray Garcia announced at their regular meeting Tuesday that Singing River Ranch owner Joseph Luter has agreed, in principal, to the new route. The BOCC authorized the chair to sign the agreement Tuesday. The agreement grants easement for the new route, with the old easement being vacated. "A geologist from the state will be down next week to assess the slide again," Garcia said. The county does not plan to waste any time hiring a surveyor and getting the new road cut."

(emphasis mine)

onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

painless4u2 wrote:Update from The Signature (La Veta's newspaper):

"The county will soon be surveying and constructing a new stretch of County Road 580 that will go around the huge landslide that occurred last July 4. Board of County Commissioners Chairman Ray Garcia announced at their regular meeting Tuesday that Singing River Ranch owner Joseph Luter has agreed, in principal, to the new route. The BOCC authorized the chair to sign the agreement Tuesday. The agreement grants easement for the new route, with the old easement being vacated. "A geologist from the state will be down next week to assess the slide again," Garcia said. The county does not plan to waste any time hiring a surveyor and getting the new road cut."

(emphasis mine)
Thanks.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

"The county does not plan to waste any time hiring a surveyor and getting the new road cut."

So, I am guessing it should be done by 2020 or so then.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6