Mid-May camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Beto
Trip Reports (0)

Mid-May camping

Post by Beto »

My college aged son and friends are flatlanders wanting to do some camping in Colorado beginning about May 15th. I've only had experience with summer conditions in Colorado, mostly the San Juans. I know there has been much recent snowfall and that anything above 10-11K will be out. They won't have equipment or experience with snow hiking or camping.

Can anyone recommend a campground (probably not dispersed) that would offer some good no snow hiking? They'll be in 2WD probably low clearance vehicles. More specifically, MY 2WD vehicle so good roads are a plus. Would RMNP likely be melted out by then? Are they likely facing lots and lots of mud?

Thanks for any help.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Mid-May camping

Post by Scott P »

Colorado National Monument and Rifle Gap are snow free, dry, and have really nice campgrounds if that is a part of Colorado you wouldn't mind visiting.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

Definitely plenty of mud in the lower elevation trails, ~6,000' in the front range.
Last edited by SikYou on Sat May 07, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slower than Scott P.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

I was in the foothills today, things are soggy, lots of surface runoff and little streams.. I would not want to put a tent down in it.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Rocky Mountain National Park has one camground open on the Estes Park side before Memorial Day - Moraine Park. Its $18 if the water is still off or $26 if on. I like to camp mid May to avoid the summer zoo. I like to drive to the Trail Ridge road closure at Many Rainbows Curve and hike or run the partially plowed road without vehicle traffic. Other modest hikes like Chasm Lake or Bear Lake area are likely to have significant snow in May.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Eastern Utah national parks have pretty good weather now, although I had wet snow in Needles on May Day this year. Needles, Canyonlands, and Colorado River have first-come first-curve camping which may be availble on weekdays, but difficult on weekends. Arches is fully reserved for next few months. There is some dispersed camping before the Canyonlands entrance and on 191 the few miles north og the Canyonlands access road.
We also hit Colorado National Monument was snow free and camped in Highland Park in Fruita.
piolet
14ers: 46  8 
13ers: 28 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by piolet »

Great Sand Dunes National Park
https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/camping.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beto
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beto »

Thanks, everyone. That was very helpful. Bear Lake reportedly still has 42 inches. May try for northern New Mexico.
CoulKurt
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoulKurt »

Try Buena Vista. Nice and dry, warmer temps, lots of hiking, scrambling and biking in area. Have fun!
A little less conversation, a little more action. -Elvis
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Yeah, would have to agree with Scott P, Colorado National Monument and the Western Slope area would be worth while.
Beto
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beto »

piolet wrote:Great Sand Dunes National Park
https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/camping.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would it be a problem crossing the creek to the dunes now, you think?

Also, does anyone know the conditions to Willow Lake? Still lots of snow?
CoulKurt wrote:Try Buena Vista. Nice and dry, warmer temps, lots of hiking, scrambling and biking in area. Have fun!
Looks like the only campground currently open there is Cottonwood Lakes (opens tomorrow), which is largely the problem statewide. It's been 6 or so years since I've been there though. I forget: Is CR 344 paved or dirt?

Thanks again to everyone.
wyyld
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wyyld »

I second the idea of Buena Vista or Salida. Hard to beat the collegiates and there is tons to do in that area. Colorado trail is right there too with numerous 14ers to enjoy.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees." - John Muir