Crags Trailhead closed, now into June 2016

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Crags Trailhead closed, now into June 2016

Post by hberry »

mennoguy wrote:After the road reopens there will be a few usage changes.

The unofficial raspberry trailhead at the horseshoe is now off limits for parking, due in large part to the congestion it caused.

Parking will be in designated spots only.

Camping will only be allowed at the crags campground.

So... no camping on the road below the camp ground anymore I guess?
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

Closing again next week and it looks like it will be closed till spring. Here is the press release from the USFS.
Pike & San Isabel National Forests, Cimarron & Comanche National Grasslands
Pikes Peak Ranger District
601 South Weber Street
Colorado Springs, CO. 80903

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @PSICC_NF

Beginning Tuesday January 17, 2017 the Pikes Peak Ranger District of the Pike-San Isabel National Forest will be temporarily closing the Crags area including Forest Service Road 383, access to the Crags, Devils Playground and Raspberry Mountain in order to provide for public safety during hazard tree removal operations. This closure prohibits all public entry into the area, including foot and vehicle traffic.

A Forest Service contractor will be working over the winter and spring months with heavy equipment to fell and remove hazard trees in the area. A spruce beetle infestation several years ago has left many of the shallow rooted spruce trees standing dead along Forest Road 383. Hazard tree removal and associated area closures are expected along FS Road 383 over the next few years. Once the contractor has finished removing trees and snow melt off has occurred, the Forest Service will assess the area and determine if it is safe to re-open.

For more information about the Crags area and closure, please contact the Pikes Peak Ranger District at (719)636-1602. More information about alternate recreation areas can also be found on the Pike-San Isabel National Forest public website at http://www.fs.usda.gov/psicc
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Denver Post article confirming same information
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/13/tr ... al-forest/
No finsh date given. I hope by June.
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

peter303 wrote:Denver Post article confirming same information.
I had to smile when I saw the picture that accompanies the article. Devil's Head is a long way from Devil's Playground, but I guess they are in the same national forest.

BTW, the Gazette ran a similar article:
http://gazette.com/popular-area-on-slop ... le/1594280