suggested snow free three day trip

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
doubleAron
Trip Reports (0)

suggested snow free three day trip

Post by doubleAron »

I am traveling to the Buena Vista area and am including a short backpacking trip, June 13-16, with my wife and daughter. Given the cool spring and the desire of my party to avoid camping in the snow, I am looking for suggestions as to the best option at that time. Ideally, we would like to stay within two hours of BV. A loop would be preferable but would also entertain out and back. Looking for some spectacular scenery, no more than a fifteen mile trip to encourage the family to do this again. My initial plan was for a loop in the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness though I have been told snow may be a concern. Thank you for any suggestions.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: suggested snow free three day trip

Post by EatinHardtack »

Look at the Lostcreek wilderness just east of BV about 30-40 mins or maybe the Rainbow Trail on the east side of the Sangres. Both are probably doing good unless you want to get really higher in elevation.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes