Best vehicle to sleep in?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Curtis Stoll
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Best vehicle to sleep in?

Post by Curtis Stoll »

I'm posting this as I hope to get a lot of responses and/or ideas. I venture out to Colorado a couple times a year for long weekends (3-4 days total). I would love to camp, but don't want to drag all my gear through the airport, etc. I rent a car when I am there, so I figure why not find out what the best vehicle is that I can rent and sleep in? So, here is why I turn to the experts here :) What kind do you have? Comfort? etc. Just looking to maximize my time at TH's that are off the beaten path without having to go out and come in all the time while staying at hotels, etc. Any info/advice is much appreciated! Thanks all.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Best vehicle to sleep in?

Post by bergsteigen »

I use a Subaru Outback in winter and aToyota Tacoma reg bed extra cab for summer. Both fit a twin foam mattress easily. I like the Subi for winter, since there's no need to exit the vehicle and you can start the car and warm it up before you get out of your sleeping bag. The truck is nice with a topper for summer when you need more air flow.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

Regarding rental options...A larger SUV (xterra, suburban, or the like) or Van.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

My wife and I sleep in the back of our 2002 Toyota Sequoia. There is lots of room length wise, side to side, and headroom while sitting and getting dressed. We easily can put our sleeping pads down and have lots of room to move around while sleeping or hanging out and not bump each other. Also there are cup holders and storage bins for the third row seating (3rd row must come out for sleeping) which are convenient when the weather is bad and you can have a meal inside.
RBski
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RBski »

I agree with the Outback comment. I am 6' and was able to lay comfortably in the back, seats down and front seats forward. Although those are tough to find in a rental fleet, Hertz maybe.

When I worked for Enterprise at the airport it was quite common for people to rent minivans that had stow-n-go rear seats. They would lay the seats flat and buy a blow up mattress from Wal-Mart. Saved money on the hotel and returned the mattress before they left.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

I (6'2") have slept in many a trailhead in the back of my Outback. Outbacks are actually shockingly long, which with the seats down makes for quite the area in the back. 6'2" is just about the limit for mine, though (first generation Outback).
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Since you mentioned renting a vehicle, I'm assuming you will only have access to the New Models of Vehicles. The newest generation 4Runner has a lot of room in back, but the models without the pullout cargo tray will have a 2-3" lip right in the middle of where your back would be... Nothing a comforter and a sleeping pad wouldn't solve. If you do happen to come across a rental with the slide out tray, the cargo area is 100% flat!
Attachments
IMG_0346.jpg
IMG_0346.jpg (220.4 KiB) Viewed 7350 times
Colorado dreaming
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Colorado dreaming »

I have used a 1997 and currently have a 2008 4Runner. Awesome to sleep in. I am 6' and the 4Runner comfortably fits me, my wife and our dog in the back. Seats folded down flat in those models (no idea about current model). The 2008 is wider than previous models (I think about 4" wider) and it is fairly easy to sit up and get changed in it. Plus, it has decent ground clearance and rugged enough to get to most trailheads.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Suburban... no comparison.
4x4
Plenty of room for a real mattress and all your gear.

Especially for those taller than 6 foot, like me.

But have comfortably slept in my Wrangler LJ.

JQ
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Kinda confused. To sleep in a car, you probably still need a bag and a pad; you'd just be replacing the tent.

Rather than perhaps be less flexible (and $$$) with the type of car you rent, why not just grab a bivy sack or UL one-person tent, which would be easily packable with your pad and bag?
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Is this a real question? Seriously? C'mon.
Something big enough. It's not rocket science. Next someone will ask what shoes to wear around the campfire.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I used to sleep just fine in the back of my '08 Xterra. I'm right at 6' and it was tight but totally adequate.
Where ever you are... There you are.