West Winfield TH

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
shaberer0511
14ers: 27 
13ers: 9 1
Trip Reports (0)

West Winfield TH

Post by shaberer0511 »

Hi, I'm looking for an update for the road to the west Winfield trailhead for la plata peak. I'm looking at possibly heading up there a week from today, the 18th. I have a Jeep Wrangler lifted on 35's.
"The Good Lord gave us mountains so we can learn how to climb. (Lonestar)"
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Re: West Winfield TH

Post by JeffR »

In the absence of info, you can probably assume conditions are going to be similar to the S. Winfield TH.

Edit: Oops, I ASSumed that the washout would've been repaired after a year.
Last edited by JeffR on Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Some flooding destroyed part of the road and people were hiking in along the road to west Winfield last year. I haven't seen anything about this being repaired yet. Maybe check with the forest service.
Bigtruckerman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bigtruckerman »

I just did The La Plata TH yesterday and the road is still washed out. You can still park right there but it will be about a mile to the TH. The peak was a good climb with minimal snow.
shaberer0511
14ers: 27 
13ers: 9 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shaberer0511 »

Does anyone have recent pictures of the washed out section on the road to West Winfield?
"The Good Lord gave us mountains so we can learn how to climb. (Lonestar)"
BratwurstGoblin
14ers: 21 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BratwurstGoblin »

Where exactly is the washout - before or after the fork on 390 to the La Plata TH? Sounds like after, on what the map calls 390A north of Winfield? I'm planning to drive out to this area from Kansas City in a few weeks; would appreciate any info. Thanks.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Yes its after the split from Winfield. I believe it is located here: https://goo.gl/maps/eg43aJJ2aiN2
Bigtruckerman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bigtruckerman »

The road is washed out about a mile from the trailhead. When you go thru Winfield you will take a road to your right follow this until you come to another fork in the road and stay right. You will come to the washout in short distance. It is not too bad to do, I did this last Saturday pretty easily. But you may want to have a vehicle with some clearance to get to that point. Enjoy!
Rambler
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Rambler »

Are there some decent camping spots before the washout but after Winfield? I'll be up there during the week of july 11-15 and was looking for a good place to camp as far in as I could get
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Rambler wrote:Are there some decent camping spots before the washout but after Winfield?
Yes there is a really nice meadow a few hundred yards before the wash out. There was a group camped there last year when I walked by. You can see the meadow in the google link below. I vaguely remember maybe a couple spots before that.
BratwurstGoblin
14ers: 21 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BratwurstGoblin »

dwoodward13 wrote:Yes its after the split from Winfield. I believe it is located here: https://goo.gl/maps/eg43aJJ2aiN2
Perfect, thanks.