Sangre (Crestones) mosquitoes

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Sangre (Crestones) mosquitoes

Post by jdorje »

I noticed them first yesterday. The usual pattern is once they appear they'll get worse every day. With the high amount of snow and hot temperatures now, I would expect a terrible mosquito season over the next month. Be prepared.

Long sleeves (preferably two layers) and a head net are ideal. Sometimes even gloves.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Sangre (Crestones) mosquitoes

Post by youngk2844 »

Yes! They were pretty bad on the Spanish Creek trail last Saturday. And, they're getting smarter. They seemed to know when I was making a difficult stream crossing.
kkarutis
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kkarutis »

Staying in Crestone this past weekend and it was INSANE. They were absolutely vicious - and I'm from the east coast. One step outside and I had a swarm of a dozen attacking me, and killed multiple bugs with each hand slap. -shudder-
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pfiore1 »

kkarutis wrote:Staying in Crestone this past weekend and it was INSANE. They were absolutely vicious - and I'm from the east coast. One step outside and I had a swarm of a dozen attacking me, and killed multiple bugs with each hand slap. -shudder-
Just a mile or two west of Crestone is a large wetland bog area, that's where most of them come from, and it really is surprisingly bad. I lived and worked outdoors in the Everglades and throughout Florida for many years, it is actually comparable to that! Even at the South Colony lakes, both upper and lower, were insane last year, the only time where I actually welcomed a strong wind to blow them away! They were in my eyes, ears, nose and mouth. I could barely breathe without inhaling a mosquito. As soon as I got a few hundred yards away from the lake however, their numbers diminished.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Up by the creeks, they are just getting started. If you think they are insane now, don't bother coming back for a month. There's a few places (around creeks when no wind) where they are swarming, but they are hardly even biting yet. Later they will get ravenous and any exposed skin will be instantly demolished. Just wearing a single long sleeve layer may be insufficient. As of earlier this week the ice on the lakes were just breaking up; I guess I don't know if the lakes themselves are big breeding grounds (they do have fish in them), but the swampy areas around and below them are big.

West of Crestone, the wetlands are actually wet for once, though strangely the "San Luis River" area is dry. There might be mosquitoes out there already, as that's all groundwater and should be quite a bit warmer than the snowmelt they breed in up high.

The willow creek trail isn't actually that bad for mosquitoes compared to most. It's up high, away from the creek, except for the first and last sections. Others like the Spanish Creek and North/South Crestone trails may be much worse. Soon.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."