Cell Service Horn Fork, Lake Como

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Cell Service Horn Fork, Lake Como

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Anyone know if / how good cell service is at Horn Fork basin? How about Lake Como? May make a difference where I decide to go. Thx. I have Verizon.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Cell Service Horn Fork, Lake Como

Post by TaylorHolt »

Here is a link for some cell reception reports from Lake Como. I was there last about ten days ago and didn't get good reception with Verizon (one bar), but I didn't try a lot of spots around the lake. I know others who have had good luck at Lake Como though.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/cellreportmai ... &provider=
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

In a basin surrounded by mountains? Be surprised if you got anything. On a summit you might get Westcliffe, Crestone, something from Sand Dunes NP, or whatever that area south of Lindsey/Blanca is. Intermittent signal along Gash Ridge. Bigger question, why do you need cell service for? For me, like the bumper stickers that say "hang up and drive," I 'power off and hike' or at least airplane mode if it's my wake up alarm.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Lemmiwinks, thanks for info. I didn't see the Lake como option in the pull down menu. :oops: Horn Fork is also listed as an option, but no comments as of yet (maybe I'll be the first ?).

Tallgrass - as usual not helpful.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

TallGrass wrote: Bigger question, why do you need cell service for? For me, like the bumper stickers that say "hang up and drive," I 'power off and hike' or at least airplane mode if it's my wake up alarm.
I agree in general, and prefer being places where my pay-as-you-go flip phone doesn't get reception.

But the OP's question may be personal (and not in need of justification). I've had a few outings where I wanted reception for personal family reasons. In one case, near Cameron Pass, after driving a few hours, I had to choose my campsite specifically to be able to get reception. Getting a phone update in that case that was delayed by a few hours (when hiking) was OK, but being delayed by a few days (camping) was not. I promised myself and my wife, if I didn't get reception, I'd drive back immediately.
So, something to consider when people ask these questions.

Hope you get what you're looking for, OP!
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Doubt you'd get anything at Lake Como. My friend did call his dad yesterday from the summit of Blanca (2 bars, scratchy) to wish him happy father's day. It's pretty uncommon to get reception in the deeper valleys as mentioned above.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm not normally joined to the hip with my cell, but I have my reasons for this particular outing.
GeezerClimber
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

I have made calls from Lake Como (Verizon) though you may have to go up the road to around treeline. You can see Alamosa from there. Forget about Horn Fork.

Dave
woody8742
14ers: 38  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by woody8742 »

I had great reception on Lake Como road all the way to the lake in April- with Verizon and a Samsung Galaxy 6. Streaming some fresh tunes made the slog out surprisingly bearable.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

I've been up to Lake Como twice this year, early March and last week. Both times I had intermittent service via Verizon and iPhone 6S. At the lake, I got mostly old 1X service at best. Did get a brief blip of 3G and LTE a couple times, but NOTHING that could be considered reliable. Once you gain LoS with Alamosa on the way up to the saddle, (Near 13,000) I was able to get good LTE service. As far as the road goes, I had pretty good service from Jaws .5 @ 9,950 feet to just past Jaws 1 as the road goes up into the valley more.

TL:DR Version: Don't expect good service once you pass Jaws 1.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach