Music Pass road conditions?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Music Pass road conditions?

Post by Matt »

There's nothing in the peak or trailhead condition reports.
Does anyone have an idea of whether the road is clear to the TH?
Thanks in advance.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Music Pass road conditions?

Post by bergsteigen »

Best I see is from ol Money: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=16983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

Matt wrote:There's nothing in the peak or trailhead condition reports.
Does anyone have an idea of whether the road is clear to the TH?
Thanks in advance.
When are you going to be down there? Hitting any bi-centennials?

Also interested in detailed conditions, sounds like it'll be fine.
David Allen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by David Allen »

I was up there several days ago. The road all the way to the upper parking area is completely clear and the trail is clear all the way into the Sand Creek area.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

David Allen wrote:I was up there several days ago. The road all the way to the upper parking area is completely clear and the trail is clear all the way into the Sand Creek area.
Thank you very much! That could just make my weekend.

Thanks, Otina, as well.
Mtnmaneric, I may head there this weekend, probably for a leisurely stroll up Marble Mt that should be mostly snow-free. It's a backup plan in case my partner catches a flight to Chicago for a last-minute Phish adventure (who could blame him?). I still "need" Pico/Milwaukee as well, but that's not a combo I want to do solo.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pfiore1 »

Just did Music Mountain a couple weeks ago. Road and trail were not clear back then but they are now. If you plan on Milwaukee and Pico I would suggest doing them from Marble or Music. Or go up the Upper Sand Creek Basin to the saddle between Marble and Milwaukee. For a full tour, I would suggest climbing Music's east "ridge" and from Music take the ridge north to Milwaukee, then Pico, back up Milwaukee and down Marble, lots of class three and four but no five. Would be a long day but would make it slightly less technical than a direct start up Milwaukee, they're pretty damn steep with very limited routes without snow. A little late now, but the best route up Milwaukee is via a southeast facing couloir. Let me know what you plan, good luck, have fun and be safe.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

Matt wrote:Mtnmaneric, I may head there this weekend, probably for a leisurely stroll up Marble Mt that should be mostly snow-free. It's a backup plan in case my partner catches a flight to Chicago for a last-minute Phish adventure (who could blame him?). I still "need" Pico/Milwaukee as well, but that's not a combo I want to do solo.
We'll prob head there friday night for a couple day climbs from the TH, Tijeras and Pico Aslado...
dfeezell
14ers: 54 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dfeezell »

Is it reasonable to drive a Forester to the upper 4WD trailhead? Have never been up this road but looking to hike Music Mountain's East Ridge on Thursday.
dfeezell
14ers: 54 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dfeezell »

Got my Forester up to the upper trailhead on 7/7 but it required careful planning of lines with spotters in several spots. There were several rocky sections that were dicey and I definitely would have liked more clearance to be comfortable. I would not recommend anything with lower clearance. We chose the right-hand path where the road splits and it worked okay. Left side looked like we would bottom out going over the mogul-like feature.