Mosquitoes in the Sangres

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sarahhaubert
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Mosquitoes in the Sangres

Post by sarahhaubert »

Can someone please advise: the mosquito situation at and near Willow Lake (Kit Carson/Challenger) is a nightmare that won't end. I've never seen anything like this. Idk why, the terrain here is standard CO, no swamps and not much standing water. They swarm like a horror movie. Is this just what the Sangres are like? I was planning to move on to Lake Como after this, but if it's also infested I'm going home to mosquito-free Sawatch.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Mosquitoes in the Sangres

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Mosquitos are pretty bad at South Colony Lakes as well. Maybe that's just how the Sangres are?
-OwenZ
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Yup, it was just like that last year, and the year before that. Dorky as they look, a mosquito head net and gloves coupled with the long sleeves works pretty well. Or just douse yourself in DEET.

After spending a few days in the Sangres last year, I figured I had a good idea what it's like to be a celebrity...those little bastards are probably just like the paparazzi!

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
sarahhaubert
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sarahhaubert »

Thanks so much for the responses, you guys. I saw someone with the beekeeper outfit, it looked pretty smart. They're so aggressive, though, they did not care about repellent or clothing and bit me right through mysleeves and gloves, even my hat. Even worse, they swarmed all over my face and bit my eyelids. Plus they move into your truck every time you open the door.
C-Shepguy
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by C-Shepguy »

If I couldn't stop mosquitos from biting my eyelids, I would never return to that location again. Almost everywhere I've been in CO, mosquitos have been a complete non-concern. Though I'm from a much buggier place.
sarahhaubert
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sarahhaubert »

I'll be hard pressed to go back to the Sangres again...especially when we have so many beautiful ranges without mosquitoes. I was raised where there swamps and lakes and thus mosquitoes...midwest mosquitoes respond to repellent and hardly bother you when you're moving. Totally different beasts!
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

And here folks say to skip tent netting and just camp with your bag under a tarp. :P :-#

Remember how skeeters would want to follow you into your tent by Avalanche Lake (Granite Peak, MT). I'd duck in quick, zip up, lay back, and then one-by-one address each skeeter bouncing against the ceiling of my Lunar Solo until I was alone. SMD also has tarps and separate net tents.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Let's face it - mosquitos, like pee hungry goats, pack chewing marmots, and curious bears that sneak into your camp and try to eat your food are a fact of life in the mountains. I am sorry that you had a bad experience but I wouldn't let that turn you off to going back to the Sangres. I haven't been to the Willow Lake area since 2012 to climb Mount Adams but I don't remember the bugs being too bad.

After growing up in Colorado and spending the last 30+ years hiking, backpacking, and mountaineering in pretty much every range in the state, I can tell you that they ALL have bugs. Also the Sangres really aren't that bad when compared to the Zirkels, the Flattops, or the Gore Range, and don't even hold a torch to ranges outside of Colorado like the Uintas, the Wind River Range, the Canadian Rockies, or the Beartooth Range, all of which aren't even in the same league as the mosquitos in Alaska. So you may just have to suck it up, and follow some of the other posters suggestions to deal with them if you want to continue spending time in the mountains.

Just my two cents,

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Also the Sangres really aren't that bad when compared to the Zirkels, the Flattops, or the Gore Range, and don't even hold a torch to ranges outside of Colorado like the Uintas, the Wind River Range, the Canadian Rockies, or the Beartooth Range, and aren't even in the same league as the mosquitos in Alaska.
The worst place for mosquitoes in Colorado is the Grand Mesa. This is because it's a huge flat topped mountain full of swampy places. For mosquitoes, the Grand Mesa rivals anyplace I have been anywhere in the world. This includes places like Yellowstone, Wind Rivers, Alaska, northern Canada, the Amazon, Southeast Asia, etc. Places like the Midwest doesn't hole a candle to Grand Mesa.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
technicolorNH
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by technicolorNH »

Go later in the year. All three of my trips to the Sangres have been in August or September and mosquitoes weren't even noticeable by Como or Willow Lake. Pick your days better too. On a day when two hikers got rescued off of Franconia Ridge in NH by SAR I was up in Maine talking to a AT thru hiker with a friend who was hiking on the flanks of Sugarloaf and as the wind blew overhead at 40 mph we sat in the tree line and he said "it's a lot colder and windier than normal for this time of year but look at the bright side, at least there are no black flies!" He was right and for Maine in June, it was wonderful.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

technicolorNH wrote:Go later in the year. All three of my trips to the Sangres have been in August or September and mosquitoes weren't even noticeable by Como or Willow Lake.
This. ^

The mosquitoes are driven by the runoff from snowmelt. They breed in the boggy ground downhill of melting snowfields. Lots of melting snow and moderate temps (see Sangres springtime) and you get LOTS of them.

Go earlier in the spring when night temps are colder or later in the year when the puddles dry up.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase