Car camping in the Sangres

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
crazymarmot
14ers: 30  1  3 
13ers: 16 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Car camping in the Sangres

Post by crazymarmot »

Hey everybody!

I was asked by my friends to plan this weekends trip. The issue is that I backpack in to camp (my whole life), and never really car camped. I haven't spend much time in the Sangres so I am not that familiar with the area. I was thinking of being around Westcliff - avoiding I70 this weekend, and want to do Millwakee, Music Mt etc.

Does anybody know of some good areas to car camp (hopefully around 10k to avoid heat) that have some dispersion, and hopefully a lake nearby?

Thank you for all info!
cheeseburglar wrote:Yeah, it's pretty obvious we need to change the 14er gathering to Cameron. We will finally answer the question "How many geeks with desk jobs does it take to unstuck a Toyato at 13,900 feet"
wildlobo71 wrote: More than you think; we're project managers.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Car camping in the Sangres

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Depends on your car. The horn lake trailhead has lots of camping around it but no water. It's accessible by any car. Hermit pass road has tons of spots and hermit lake is really nice but it's definitely 4wd to get up there.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

You can camp at Music Pass trail head itself.
Sorry, no lake.
crazymarmot
14ers: 30  1  3 
13ers: 16 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crazymarmot »

Jon Frohlich wrote:Depends on your car. The horn lake trailhead has lots of camping around it but no water. It's accessible by any car. Hermit pass road has tons of spots and hermit lake is really nice but it's definitely 4wd to get up there.
Thanks a lot, I think this one will hit the ticket! I really appreciate your help!
cheeseburglar wrote:Yeah, it's pretty obvious we need to change the 14er gathering to Cameron. We will finally answer the question "How many geeks with desk jobs does it take to unstuck a Toyato at 13,900 feet"
wildlobo71 wrote: More than you think; we're project managers.