Any suggestions for protecting car from marmots, etc?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RobertKay
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Any suggestions for protecting car from marmots, etc?

Post by RobertKay »

Just take a rental car, but make sure you get the full insurance policy first. \:D/
Peakmarker.com
KD5ZZK
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KD5ZZK »

What is the lure for marmots to chew stuff on vehicles? Is it the smell of food inside your vehicle?

Andrew
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I've been doing the chicken wire. I've seen vehicles wrapped, but that won't work if you're sleeping in the vehicle - unless you want to enter & exit via the window NASCAR style. I wonder how the marmots have been defeating the chicken wire. Are they going over or under? Perhaps some hybrid of the two methods would work to completely secure the underneath while still allowing the doors to open.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

KD5ZZK wrote:What is the lure for marmots to chew stuff on vehicles? Is it the smell of food inside your vehicle?

Andrew
It is widely believed that salt and other chemical elements on rubber hoses attract critters and even mountain goats. I do recall a report regarding a hiker who caught goats licking underneath last year.
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

Somewhat related - can any food be left in the car at a trailhead (Sawatch and Uncompahgn/sneffels) or is that just asking for animals to try to get into the car (packaged food - trail mix, protein bars)
Who is John Galt
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

derekesq wrote:can any food be left in the car at a trailhead
I had always thought it was okay to leave food in a car, unless you're in Yellowstone or something where the bears will break in for a cooler. But now I try to leave no food at all because some trailheads have mice that are habituated to finding food in cars. Specifically: the Willow Creek TH in the Sangres (KC and Challenger), and Zapata Falls TH in the Sangres (South Zapata Lake approach for Ellingwood Point).
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I've used mothballs and that super stinky rodent repellent spray. The spray is annoying as some always gets on my hands and it smells like a outhouse.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche