Redcloud Camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Redcloud Camping

Post by BuckTurgidson »

My kid and I want to summit Redcloud/Sunshine, and want to hike a mile or so from the TH the 1st day and camp, so that the ascent on the 2nd day is a bit shorter (and earlier). Are there any restrictions on camping along the trail to Redcloud? Any good spots? Or should we just stick to camping at the TH?

Been reading about chewed cables and brake lines, too. Sort of has me spooked. Maybe we should sleep right next to the truck. Thanks.

Thanks.
Oldskool70
14ers: 28  1  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Redcloud Camping

Post by Oldskool70 »

The raccoons their are very bold. I slept in my pathfinder with the back window up & they climbed up my rear bumper to get to my food... with me right next to it!!! Wasted plenty of sleep shooing them away. I haven't had my vehicle chewed on but there are plenty of ideas out there (check these forums) to deter them... or least try. I kinda like the trucker diaper one...but confess I haven't tried it yet. :wft:
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.
zacgiammarrusco
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by zacgiammarrusco »

We hiked Redcloud/Sunshine on Sunday. There's decent camping spots along the road just passed the trail head. A fellow hiker said he was up all night battling a porcupine. He was camped right in the parking lot of the trailhead. We camped just passed the trail head up the road and had no problems. I'd say avoid camping in the parking lot and you should be fine. I don't think it's worth hiking up and setting up camp although it would be nice to be isolated from the road. The ATV/Jeep traffic can get busy on the weekend. Happy trails
BuckTurgidson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BuckTurgidson »

Oldskool70 wrote:The raccoons their are very bold. I slept in my pathfinder with the back window up & they climbed up my rear bumper to get to my food... with me right next to it!!! Wasted plenty of sleep shooing them away. I haven't had my vehicle chewed on but there are plenty of ideas out there (check these forums) to deter them... or least try. I kinda like the trucker diaper one...but confess I haven't tried it yet. :wft:

Is a truck diaper driving onto a tarp, and wrapping it up? Probably going to head out to Harbor Freight in a few minutes and pick up a big tarp.

Seems like the easiest, apart from spreading juju dust and chicken blood around the truck.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Chicken wire. Just wrap it around vehicle such that porky can't crawl underneath.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

I just camped there last week. Not a single problem. Just camp a few hundred yards from the trailhead. Maybe avoid parking right at the trailhead.
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

There are a couple of campsites not too far in along the trail, less than a mile. Past that and the terrain gets to be a little difficult to camp on, plus you're close to a stream (closer than you can camp per FS regulations. By the time you're away from the stream again, you're above treeline. I've seen an isolated tent or two up there on my various visits. I'm also of the opinion that aside from getting away from the road, packing in isn't worth the effort and won't really save any time in the long run.
BuckTurgidson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BuckTurgidson »

acidchylde wrote:There are a couple of campsites not too far in along the trail, less than a mile. Past that and the terrain gets to be a little difficult to camp on, plus you're close to a stream (closer than you can camp per FS regulations. By the time you're away from the stream again, you're above treeline. I've seen an isolated tent or two up there on my various visits. I'm also of the opinion that aside from getting away from the road, packing in isn't worth the effort and won't really save any time in the long run.
Thanks for the info. The savings is probably marginal, I suppose. I'm thinking the big savings will be not having to get to the TH the morning of. Hoping the weather forecast clears up, too.