Highway 82, Independence Pass - exposure?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hamerhokie
Trip Reports (0)

Highway 82, Independence Pass - exposure?

Post by hamerhokie »

How exposed is Hwy 82 westbound in the Independence Pass area? Google with the terrain turned on makes it look fairly exposed but who can really tell from that.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Highway 82, Independence Pass - exposure?

Post by PaliKona »

There are some good drop offs on both sides.
catcalliope
14ers: 29 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by catcalliope »

IMO the exposure is worse going eastbound but there are definitely some nervewracking parts going each way. Just go slow enough to feel comfortable and don't feel too bad if a couple people get stacked up behind you, they're probably going too fast anyway!
shaunblair
14ers: 56 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shaunblair »

The speed limit is 30mph for a majority of the pass, and there are many bicyclists to share the road with, so slow is by design. The only guardrail protection I saw was near the top, so if the view is going to distract you enough to wander your lane close to the edge, do it there...
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

Got into a car race in a BMW M5 racing with a nissan z-car over independence pass back in the early 90s -- we hit speeds of > 120mph. No bikers back then and very little traffic, so I don't recommend it now. The narrow part on the west side (one lane with a double yellow stripe down the middle) was particularly dicey.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I recall at least one switchback near the top goes at 10 mph. :) Most of other switchbacks are about 25 mph
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Going EB from the top, you'll be on the outside of the road as it cuts across that ledgy area, with lots of air to the right...for me, that's the only nerve-wrecking part. No guardrail so keep it slow and focus on the road.
WB from the top is easier IMO, but there are a few very narrow turns (they are signed) where two large vehicles can barely get by each other. The speed limits are signed as 5 mph at those locations I believe, and have guard rails.
Enjoy the ride, it's a great pass!
bobalob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bobalob »

I'd say the terrain is no more than class 2 but with the level of exposure a lot of people would bump it up to class 3, really depends what you are comfortable with.