Durango/Silverton train schedule

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Durango/Silverton train schedule

Post by denvermikey »

I am planning on a trip to Chicago Basin here in a few weeks and wanted to find out logistics with the train schedule. I know there is probably some prior posts discussing this but I thought I'd post my findings (from calling the DSNGRR) here so others can easily refer to it.

There is only one train in the morning that leaves from Durango that will drop off at Needleton.

Leave Durango @ 8:45 and drop off at Needleton @ 11:15.

When you pick up the train headed back down to Durango, the only option is the southbound @ 3:30.

The other option is to take the train from Silverton. This is a shorter ride (and drive from Denver metro) and less expensive if the timing works out for you.

Leave Silverton @ 2:30 and drop off at Needleton @ 3:30.

You would get on the 11:15 northbound back to Silverton when it drops off the hikers from Durango.

If you are trying to maximize the amount of time you will have hiking in the Chicago Basin, the Durango route clearly affords more, by over 8 hours combined. However, this option is more expensive and requires more time on the train.

Hope this helps!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Durango/Silverton train schedule

Post by jrs1965 »

denvermikey wrote:I am planning on a trip to Chicago Basin here in a few weeks and wanted to find out logistics with the train schedule. I know there is probably some prior posts discussing this but I thought I'd post my findings (from calling the DSNGRR) here so others can easily refer to it.

There is only one train in the morning that leaves from Durango that will drop off at Needleton.

Leave Durango @ 8:45 and drop off at Needleton @ 11:15.

When you pick up the train headed back down to Durango, the only option is the southbound @ 3:30.

The other option is to take the train from Silverton. This is a shorter ride (and drive from Denver metro) and less expensive if the timing works out for you.

You would get on the 11:15 northbound back to Silverton when it drops off the hikers from Durango.

If you are trying to maximize the amount of time you will have hiking in the Chicago Basin, the Durango route clearly affords more, by over 8 hours combined. However, this option is more expensive and requires more time on the train.

Hope this helps!
I'm booked on the train from Durango on Saturday. As I understand what I was told by the reservation folks the return train will be picking me up at 2:30 PM and arriving in Durango at 6 PM. It's all good, as long as I get picked up eventually...
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

If leaving from Silverton, make sure to call (888) 872-4607 and ask for the Backpackers Special. It'll save you $19 off the ticket and the backpack fee will be waived.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Wildernessjane wrote:If leaving from Silverton, make sure to call (888) 872-4607 and ask for the Backpackers Special. It'll save you around $20 off the ticket and the backpack fee will be waived.
Is this new?
Regardless, thank you for sharing this!
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Matt wrote:
Wildernessjane wrote:If leaving from Silverton, make sure to call (888) 872-4607 and ask for the Backpackers Special. It'll save you around $20 off the ticket and the backpack fee will be waived.
Is this new?
Regardless, thank you for sharing this!
Definitely not new. I've used it the last couple of years to access Vestal and Ruby Basins and then called yesterday (we are also heading in Saturday, but from Silverton). Here's the website (scroll down to Backpackers Special for details): http://m.durangotrain.com/hot-deals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

denvermikey wrote:The other option is to take the train from Silverton. This is a shorter ride (and drive from Denver metro) and less expensive if the timing works out for you.
Does sound like a recent change. For a few years everyone had to pay the full round-trip fare regardless of origin or destination. (Going back earlier, before 2008 or so, they offered partial-route tickets.) OTOH this meant you technically had a round-trip end-to-end ticket, so if you wanted you could go Silverton --> Needleton --> hike --> Needleton down to Durango --> Durango back up to Silverton.
Note this means you arrive at the basin after all the people coming from Durango do, and probably have a worse choice of campsites. This is especially a concern hiking in on a Friday or Saturday.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Note this means you arrive at the basin after all the people coming from Durango do, and probably have a worse choice of campsites. This is especially a concern hiking in on a Friday or Saturday.
Excellent point...
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

denvermikey wrote:
Excellent point...
Pack light and set a decent pace up the trail and you will have a good chance of beating some of those coming from Durango up to the campsites. I'm sure there's a lot of people lugging massive packs up.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

Another bonus from leaving from Silverton is you get free parking.
The last couple times I did that route I didn't have any issue finding a decent camping spot. Seems most people grab the first one they see leaving the upper spots open, at least that was my observation.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Another benefit of catching the train in Silverton is that you spend less time on the train breathing smoke. :)
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Can confirm the comments above. I left Silverton on the 230p train, got to Needleton at 330p. I only paid $75/person Round Trip with the Backpacker special.
For returning to Silverton you can catch the 1115a or 12p train headed to Silverton.
To get back to Durango you can catch trains at 335p or 405p headed back to Durango.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Does the train stop for long at Needleton?

Really hoping there's some time when I get off the train at Needleton to get a quick beta from the Silverton bound folks getting on. I'm thinking I'll stash my axe, gaiters, or any other unneeded gear at Needleton if I can get an update proving they're not needed...