Dispersed Camping within an hour of Golden?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rainechaser
14ers: 12 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Dispersed Camping within an hour of Golden?

Post by Rainechaser »

I have a group of lowlanders coming up in a few weeks and they want to do some camping. Dispersed preferred, though if we have to pay we can. Possibly will have access to a Land Cruiser, so nice sites off of 4WD trails are welcome too. Water nearby appreciated but not required.

Also, one of the girls coming has a 6 month old. I am not 100% on this whole camping-overnight-with-an-infant thing. Not even 50% sure about it, actually. This is the reason I don't want to be more than an hour away from Golden. Anyone done this before? And if so, what tips do you have?
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Dispersed Camping within an hour of Golden?

Post by Trotter »

Rainechaser wrote: Also, one of the girls coming has a 6 month old. I am not 100% on this whole camping-overnight-with-an-infant thing. Not even 50% sure about it, actually. This is the reason I don't want to be more than an hour away from Golden. Anyone done this before? And if so, what tips do you have?

bring earplugs :wink:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

My immediate suggestions (e.g West Chicago Creek by Idaho Springs) are generally around ~9k+ feet, and even though babies would generally be "ok" at those elevations, I would hesitate adding higher elevation to the list of other variables with camping...
Being away from home, traveling, etc. in general is a variable. So is the weather, tradeoff between cool or cold at night, and hot during the day (when the baby will want to take a nap).

It's certainly possible and fine and memorable to camp with an infant. But our first few times were definitely alone to get things figured out. Has the baby/parent(s) camped together yet? It would be best to practice (or have practiced) it ahead of time. Ideally, parent(s) take all responsibility and extra preparation. My biggest advice would be close access to the car if the baby is crying about something not quickly pacified. When my son was very young, I was responsible (since I most wanted to camp!) for waking up immediately, no hesitation, and heading to the car to feed him a bottle, diaper change, whatever.

Temperament of both parent and child can make a big difference in general.
If you have a good friendship and your friend is the type of person to take all responsibility and reasonable effort, you can give it a go. Once you decide to go, be supportive! They are all excited to spend time together outdoors in Colorado. If you think it's a bad idea for various reasons, ideally try to make that decision before you go, so people don't get upset at each other after a potentially fitful sleep. Because it would also be possible for them to be fully prepared and enthusiastic, but the baby (who doesn't know any better!) to have issues.

I might also consider a hybrid campground cabin and tent situation, or two different sites to give each other space...again, this is me thinking about what I would do if I really wanted to go camping in a group yet also wanted to make sure everybody was comfortable.
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

I camped last night with my two-year old for the first time. We went up Tiger Road in Breckenridge and dispersed camped along the middle fork swan river road. There was a site just before the turnoff to the middle fork that seemed to be all by itself. It was in a clear area next to a small pond. No shade, but no other sites within earshot of the baby. And also only about an hour from Golden. I only had 2wd but if you go further than I went (which was right where the Colorado Trail crosses the road) there might be lots more options.
Rainechaser
14ers: 12 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rainechaser »

Thank you all for all of the suggestions. It makes me feel better to know that others have camped with infants successfully. We are planning on camping pretty close to the car and it will be during the week, so hopefully fewer people to bother. We are also bringing a separate two man tent for her in the baby in case she feels it is necessary. I don't think she has camped with the baby before, he was born in March and they are just getting to the point where they are trying to do things with him. But that is a good suggestion.

I am still open to new location suggestions. Any idea where there is good dispersed camping near the West Chicago Creek campsite? That location looks nice, as well as the location you suggested TJ. I'm making a list and will be scouting out a good site in the next week.