sleeping in car near Brainard Lake or RMNP (Estes side)

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

sleeping in car near Brainard Lake or RMNP (Estes side)

Post by rdp32 »

I hate waking up super early to drive to the trailhead for an early start, and I am beginning to prefer to drive there the night before and sleep in my car at or near the trailhead if possible. Along those lines, this weekend I am planning on hiking in the East side of IPW (starting at Brainard Lake) and the Estes Park side of RMNP; does anyone have any recommendations for a nice quiet place to quietly pull over my van and sleep for the night near either of these areas? Both areas (RMNP and Brainard Lake area) officially do not allow sleeping in your car at the trailhead. Does anyone know if they actually enforce this at Brainard Lake? How about at the winter parking lot a couple of miles from the main gate? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: sleeping in car near Brainard Lake or RMNP (Estes side)

Post by Tory Wells »

I've slept in my car at the Longs Peak TH, as many people have. As long as you are quiet and don't make a mess no one will bother you there.

For Brainard Lake, I think the situation is the same--as it is pretty much is for any place that has cars sitting over night. As long as your vehicle appears to be just another car sitting over night, no one usually bothers you.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
XC Snowboarder
14ers: 58  58  5 
13ers: 101 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XC Snowboarder »

CR 104 is just before the gate on the S side of Brainard Lake Rd. If the parking lot doesn't work out you might find a spot there. I don't remember the 1st part being too rough.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks! Sounds like I'll just go for it at the Brainard Lake parking lot and use the CR 104 as a plan B.