Camping for Belford/Oxford

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jeff_F
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Camping for Belford/Oxford

Post by Jeff_F »

Hi all,
I'm wondering what the camping situation is near the trailhead for Bel/Ox. I'd like to camp as close to the TH as possible. I remember there being camping right when you turn onto 390 from 24 but I'd rather not drive that road in the morning, just wake up eat and hike. I think when I climbed Missouri I threw my tent over the side of the fence but not sure if that's cool per regs.

Thanks,
Jeff
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Camping for Belford/Oxford

Post by handonbroward »

Jeff_F wrote:Hi all,
I'm wondering what the camping situation is near the trailhead for Bel/Ox. I'd like to camp as close to the TH as possible. I remember there being camping right when you turn onto 390 from 24 but I'd rather not drive that road in the morning, just wake up eat and hike. I think when I climbed Missouri I threw my tent over the side of the fence but not sure if that's cool per regs.

Thanks,
Jeff
Don't camp at the trailhead. There are signs explicitly saying that. However, the road in from 24, which is about a 7 mile drive to the TH, has so many campsites scattered along it. They fill up very fast on Friday afternoons, however. You can even drive past the TH, all the way to Winfield if necessary, to find camping. You should be able to find a spot somewhere no matter what day of the week it is.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

I would just continue past the TH for Missouri Gulch and head on up to Winfield. Great camping spots, some old, historic buildings from the old town, and Clear Creek is a good source of good water. Every time we have camped there we have seen plenty of wildlife....deer, elk, foxes, squirrels and tons of birds, especially hummingbirds. There are already fire rings and I've never seen more than maybe 10 other camps set up when we've been there in June and July, and it's a large camp area. It's a simple drive back to Missouri Gulch TH, you won't regret staying at Winfield.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Jeff_F
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeff_F »

Thanks for the info.

I guess I've forgotten Winfield was so close by. That old town is great and found great camping, like when I did Huron. Cheers guys. Enjoy your travels this weekend.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Not to hijack, but I figured it's better than a new thread. Is there camping UP the Belford route that would allow for reduced mileage when actually doing the combo climb? When looking down from Missouri, that entire valley looked pretty barren and maybe too exposed to camp in storm season. Are there any spots lower in the trees that might knock off a couple miles or more?
LoveThisSite
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LoveThisSite »

I think it is possible to camp near an old shack (not too far from treeline, as I recall)... but there were rats in that area last year, trying to get into our packs (we stopped near the shack for a break). There's probably are a couple of other spots as well. Once you get into the willows camping is impossible. Honestly, I don't think it's worth hauling up the gear, unless you plan to hit all 3 peaks via an overnight high camp.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

I camped up there many years ago. I recall the basin being very nice for camping. I don't remember the willows being an issue.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

We camped up in the willows about a decade ago. It was OK, but you won't be able to hang your food. There's also a single campsite on the trail a mile or so before the cabin, but most of the way the mountainside is very steep. A hammock might work well along that trail.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump