Tires Required for Alpine Pass

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TeacherMan
Trip Reports (0)

Tires Required for Alpine Pass

Post by TeacherMan »

Hello, all.

I did see one prior post slightly related, but I wanted to directly ask: We're planning on driving some or all of the Alpine Loop in a couple of weeks. I've got a Lexus LX470 and I'll take off the runners, so clearance shouldn't be an issue. However, I have Michelin LTX MS tires. Should I be worried about blow outs on the rockier sections? Are there sections I should avoid? Any input appreciated.

Thanks!
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tires Required for Alpine Pass

Post by acidchylde »

Those are highway tires, not all-terrains, but given 'ideal' (re: dry) conditions you should be fine. There are only a couple of places I can think of where if it were wet and muddy traction might be an issue. However your primary concern is rocks, so I'll just say that while getting a flat anywhere is possible, there's nothing on the Alpine Loop that stands out as bad or risky or whatever. Assuming we're talking about Engineer/Cinnamon and down into Animas Forks. The section you want to avoid is Mineral Creek, which is the most direct route/leg down from Engineer Pass to 550/Ouray.

The places I've had rock tire punctures were up on Antero and Paradise Divide outside Crested Butte. But as I said it can happen anywhere. My parents were in a rental Nissan Pathfinder and got a flat coming down Rollins Pass after we visited the tunnel on the last day of a two week trip including going up over Tin Cup Pass and several of the passes and roads in the Silverton area, and Rollins is pretty much a gravel road. The rock that got me on Paradise was a perfect triangular pyramid that pretty much went in like a road spike because it was pointed just the right way in the middle of a bunch of 1.5" rock/gravel. Something else that contributed there was my tires (Dunlop AT20s, stock on a Tacoma Sport) were at full pressure or a bit more and I was driving 'too fast'. If I had been going slower the rock may have had time to shift or if I'd lowered the tire pressure a bit they might have been able to flex enough it wouldn't have punctured. I'm not suggesting you air down for those roads, just be aware that fully inflated tires, and highway/road tires in particular, make for a rougher ride and are more prone to puncture. In all likelihood you'll be driving slower. You shouldn't be worried about a true blow-out at all, because if you're driving fast enough for that to be a concern you have bigger problems. :mrgreen: Have a spare tire, know how to change it (and where NOT to do so), and have fun.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I'm no tire expert, but that's because I have a TRD Tacoma, so it came with fairly rugged tires. I may eventually move to the highest rated tire, since I have had blow outs before. Best thing you can do is be careful with tire placement and go slowly. I had a tire blowout most likely from going too fast on a road with sharp rocks, since I got a hole in the tread, not in the side wall. Best to go around sharp rocks if possible, and make sure none rub against a side wall.

If you have a second spare, you may want to bring it as well. I drove to Kennecott in Alaska which is notorious for tire blowouts, and I carried another spare (a winter studded tire), just in case I had 2 blowouts.

Except for the passes, the road shouldn't be bad. I don't seem to remember sharp rocks on the sections I've been on. Cinammon and Engineer get plenty of traffic, in case you do get into trouble.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

I had a 2001 Ford Ranger that I ran Michelin LTX MS tires on for years in CO and never had a blowout and I took it on plenty of rough 4x4 roads including Cinnamon Pass, Crystal Lakes road, the lower part of the Lake Como road, Henson Creek, South Colony Lakes, etc. etc.

As others have pointed out, just make sure you have a full sized spare, go slow, drive carefully, avoid the roads after heavy rain, and you'll be fine. I would also second the suggestion to avoid the Mineral Creek section of the Alpine Loop off 550 as it is the worst part.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
TeacherMan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TeacherMan »

acidchylde wrote:Those are highway tires, not all-terrains, but given 'ideal' (re: dry) conditions you should be fine. There are only a couple of places I can think of where if it were wet and muddy traction might be an issue. However your primary concern is rocks, so I'll just say that while getting a flat anywhere is possible, there's nothing on the Alpine Loop that stands out as bad or risky or whatever. Assuming we're talking about Engineer/Cinnamon and down into Animas Forks. The section you want to avoid is Mineral Creek, which is the most direct route/leg down from Engineer Pass to 550/Ouray.

The places I've had rock tire punctures were up on Antero and Paradise Divide outside Crested Butte. But as I said it can happen anywhere. My parents were in a rental Nissan Pathfinder and got a flat coming down Rollins Pass after we visited the tunnel on the last day of a two week trip including going up over Tin Cup Pass and several of the passes and roads in the Silverton area, and Rollins is pretty much a gravel road. The rock that got me on Paradise was a perfect triangular pyramid that pretty much went in like a road spike because it was pointed just the right way in the middle of a bunch of 1.5" rock/gravel. Something else that contributed there was my tires (Dunlop AT20s, stock on a Tacoma Sport) were at full pressure or a bit more and I was driving 'too fast'. If I had been going slower the rock may have had time to shift or if I'd lowered the tire pressure a bit they might have been able to flex enough it wouldn't have punctured. I'm not suggesting you air down for those roads, just be aware that fully inflated tires, and highway/road tires in particular, make for a rougher ride and are more prone to puncture. In all likelihood you'll be driving slower. You shouldn't be worried about a true blow-out at all, because if you're driving fast enough for that to be a concern you have bigger problems. :mrgreen: Have a spare tire, know how to change it (and where NOT to do so), and have fun.
Great info, thanks for the confidence and the caution re: Mineral Creek. With these tires, I'll definitely avoid it. I may even air down just a bit to be on the safe side. Thanks again!
TeacherMan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TeacherMan »

bergsteigen wrote:I'm no tire expert, but that's because I have a TRD Tacoma, so it came with fairly rugged tires. I may eventually move to the highest rated tire, since I have had blow outs before. Best thing you can do is be careful with tire placement and go slowly. I had a tire blowout most likely from going too fast on a road with sharp rocks, since I got a hole in the tread, not in the side wall. Best to go around sharp rocks if possible, and make sure none rub against a side wall.

If you have a second spare, you may want to bring it as well. I drove to Kennecott in Alaska which is notorious for tire blowouts, and I carried another spare (a winter studded tire), just in case I had 2 blowouts.

Except for the passes, the road shouldn't be bad. I don't seem to remember sharp rocks on the sections I've been on. Cinammon and Engineer get plenty of traffic, in case you do get into trouble.
Thanks, man! The plan is definitely to take it slow and easy. Take care!
TeacherMan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TeacherMan »

kaiman wrote:I had a 2001 Ford Ranger that I ran Michelin LTX MS tires on for years in CO and never had a blowout and I took it on plenty of rough 4x4 roads including Cinnamon Pass, Crystal Lakes road, the lower part of the Lake Como road, Henson Creek, South Colony Lakes, etc. etc.

As others have pointed out, just make sure you have a full sized spare, go slow, drive carefully, avoid the roads after heavy rain, and you'll be fine. I would also second the suggestion to avoid the Mineral Creek section of the Alpine Loop off 550 as it is the worst part.

Kai
Excellent; this makes me feel much better. I'll avoid MC and take it easy. Thanks!
TeacherMan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TeacherMan »

Also, having never done any of this loop, I'm thinking of camping around Lake City one night, then taking the Loop from LC to Silverton, then onto Telluride (probably arriving late afternoon) to camp a few days before heading back to our family reunion near Glenwood Springs. Any suggestions re: camping, route, sites, would be welcome.
BB732
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BB732 »

After driving to the Matterhorn TH and back recently I would say the most important thing is a well functioning air conditioner because you will have the windows rolled up. The dust is hell. Apparently ATV riding is all about eating dirt!
acidchylde
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

TeacherMan wrote:Also, having never done any of this loop, I'm thinking of camping around Lake City one night, then taking the Loop from LC to Silverton, then onto Telluride (probably arriving late afternoon) to camp a few days before heading back to our family reunion near Glenwood Springs. Any suggestions re: camping, route, sites, would be welcome.
Well, if you do a loop you end up back where you started, having gone one way over Cinnamon and the other over Engineer. If you don't do a loop, you only hit one of those two passes and it's basically a Lake City to Silverton trip. There is some camping on the Lake City side of both passes, but with the 14ers and 4x4 activity in the area they can be taken pretty quick.

There are three passes to get from Silverton to Telluride, and I wouldn't recommend any of them with that vehicle/tire combo. You have probably already read my comments (and those of others) in the other threads you were looking at, but Black Bear is not for the inexperienced. Imogene has considerably more rocky sections and 'real' off-road than the Alpine Loop stuff, and the combination of those tires and I'm assuming lack of off-road experience and clearance, it's probably not a good idea. That leaves Ophir, which again, due to the tires I would not recommend, but I won't say it's not possible. Coming down the west side there is a ledge section that is very rocky on top of being narrow. Once you get down into the trees from that there is the potential for the road to be extremely muddy between treeline and the town/hamlet/whatever it is of Ophir. It's usually fine, but without knowing current conditions I've been on it when it was pretty sloppy. For a moderately experienced off-roader and a vehicle with all terrain tires at least, it's no more difficult than Cinnamon or Engineer. I would be willing to take Ophir with that vehicle/tires, but I wouldn't suggest it to someone I didn't know. My recommendation would be to take 550 north through Ouray and highway all the way around to Telluride.

As for camping in the Telluride area, I would head south a bit on 145. Alta Lakes can be nice but will be a bit busy/crowded. There are some additional campgrounds not far off the highway further on. We've done most of our camping near Lizard Head. Head south to Dunton/CR 38 (it's an easy turn to miss and you may wonder if it's actually a road or just a mine access). Follow that up to a T intersection, take the left and there's several campsites in the first mile, but not too many after that. If you continue past the T and on down toward Dunton there's another campground down there.
jkantor1312
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jkantor1312 »

I did Cinnamon around the middle of May. It was in extremely rough condition. Engineer was not open. But those tires would have handled Cinnamon ok...you can get a cut anytime...always be prepared for it. Imo, the easiest route is up Cinnamon and down Engineer.
Totally agree with acidchylde about Ophir.
For a moderately experienced off-roader and a vehicle with all terrain tires at least, it's no more difficult than Cinnamon or Engineer. I would be willing to take Ophir with that vehicle/tires, but I wouldn't suggest it to someone I didn't know. My recommendation would be to take 550 north through Ouray and highway all the way around to Telluride.
If you want a little bit of adventure...take Last Dollar off of 550 to Telluride (I actually did that in a Chrysler 300 several years ago)... if it is wet, you will need 4WD.

Concur that Imogene would not be advised.

If you are just going to tent out overnight...pm me and I will give you a place in Lake City. You can always tent out in Telluride at the city park... which is actually very nice, with showers. Or there are several campgrounds around the area ( http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gmug/rec ... 2&actid=29 )... but get your reservation in. Ridgway has a nice state park.
jimwei
14ers: 21 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jimwei »

Picking up this old thread on Alpine Loop regarding tires and also vehicle option.

I have a 2010 Suburban 4wd with BFG AT T/A KO2 tires. My 4wd however is 4-Hi only, doesn't have the 4-Lo option. Otherwise the Suburban is completely stock. The tires are fairly new with only about 10K miles on them. I want to take my 4 year old kids on the Alpine Loop at end of July. Considering either tackling it with the Suburban or rent a 4 door Wrangler from Silverton. I know from reading to avoid Mineral from Ouray to Animas Fork. What about rest of the Loop? Would the Suburban make it with relative ease from Silverton to Animas Fork to Lake City via Cinnamon Pass then return via Engineer Pass? If not, what other options are there? Or should I just rent the Wrangler and put the kids seat in the backseat?