Nellie Creek?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nellie Creek?

Post by TallGrass »

The road to Unc' TH is rough and can vary with weather (mud, rocks, water crossings), but is an easy and scenic one to walk up. There were two improvised foot bridges to cross the creeks with dry feet, one upstream and one down, basically logs linking rocks as needed. I wouldn't take a street-clearance SUV or a LWB one up. A guy with the USFS took his issued F150 up and said he bottomed out crossing some of the berms (dirt, so less damaging than rock), but one with stiffer suspension might fair better. Road to the start of NCR is 2WD.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Psemin42
14ers: 58  4  4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Nellie Creek?

Post by Psemin42 »

I was up there on Sunday and it is definitely a rough road that you need to have some knowledge and skill to get up but it is doable. We took a Hundai Sante Fe (yeah I cant believe it either) up...I would have felt a lot more comfortable taking my Jeep up it but we made it up without too much of an issue. The crux is the first 100 ft so like they said, give it a go with your Ford and if you feel uncomfortable you can just back down really easily.