Poll: Worst TH Roads, Seasonal, and Alternatives

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What are the toughest TH roads besides Como? Pick up to 3, and share photos, comments below, please.

Baldwin Gulch (Antero)
15%
Castle Creek (Castle, Conundrum
18%
Chihuahua Gulch (Grays, Torreys)
No votes
Grizzly Gulch (Grays, Torreys)
3%
Jennings Creek (Tabeguache, Shavano)
1%
Lead King Basin (Snowmass)
23%
Matterhorn Creek (Wetterhorn, Uncompahgre)
9%
Nellie Creek (Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn)
19%
Quartzville (DeCaBroLin)
1%
Rockdale (Missouri, Huron)
8%
West Winfield (La Plata)
3%

Total votes: 130
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Poll: Worst TH Roads, Seasonal, and Alternatives

Post by TallGrass »

MonGoose wrote:I-70 is by far, the worst.Friday WestboundSunday EastboundMid-Week
And then you lose wifi in your Prius.

Meanwhile on US-285, US-50, US-24... ;)
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

i70ksexit411b.jpg
i70ksexit411b.jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
jonathanSKIS
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jonathanSKIS »

4thPlaceAtFieldDay wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:15 pm Right now I'm gonna go with Lily Lake TH for Lindsey as the toughest.
Agreed!
“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” – Ed Viesturs.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

CreekRunner wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:32 am
12ersRule wrote:I70, hands down!

I second the movement.
agree! especially since while I've been on those other roads, it was hiking since my 2wd rental usually wouldn't have survived that trip
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

TallGrass wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:44 pm
MonGoose wrote:I-70 is by far, the worst.Friday WestboundSunday EastboundMid-Week

Actually 285 isn’t any better than i70 these days really. Our family has a place in FairPlay and it’s regularly backed up from Jefferson to beyond CR-18 heading east bound on Sundays. 50 and 24/9 are still much better but getting worse over the years. Slow campers have become a PItA on 50 through the canyon until you hit one of the few passing lanes. And 24 was backed up from divide to lake George a couple of holiday weekends this past summer.

Definitely agree i70 is worst of all. I’d rather take my chances with my Impreza going up Lake Como road than attempt i70 west bound on a Saturday morning between 6-9.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I really hate the road to Missouri / Huron as far as Winfield. It's just good enough that people go a speed to turn it into washboard. Then you have a choice of shaking the crap out of your vehicle or always being in someone's dust cloud or both. There's routinely enough traffic you won't be alone so there will be dust. After Winfield the road becomes 4WD so is a lot nicer to drive. I'd far rather go slow around holes and through obstacles than shake on washboard in a dust cloud. This is far from the only trailhead road with this issue.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I-70 is only bad between Frisco and Denver and occasionally as far west as Vail , and even then only if you are going WB from Denver at the beginning of the weekend or EB to Denver at the end of the weekend.

Living in Grand Junction, I love I-70. You almost never have to slow down to below the speed limit (which is 80 on most of the Utah side and 75 on most of the Colorado side) all the way from Western Utah to Vail and even if you go east of that on the weekend you are travelling against the grain of traffic.

I love I-70. It's such a nice road.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

rijaca wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:57 pm i70ksexit411b.jpg
So were you on your way to the Legends for shopping, or to Children's Mercy Park for a Sporting KC game, or to Kansas Speedway for some NASCAR action, or simply so bored all you could think to do was snap a picture of interstate highway signage?
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

aholle88 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:56 pm
TallGrass wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Actually 285 isn’t any better than i70 these days really. Our family has a place in FairPlay and it’s regularly backed up from Jefferson to beyond CR-18 heading east bound on Sundays. 50 and 24/9 are still much better but getting worse over the years. Slow campers have become a PItA on 50 through the canyon until you hit one of the few passing lanes. And 24 was backed up from divide to lake George a couple of holiday weekends this past summer.

Definitely agree i70 is worst of all. I’d rather take my chances with my Impreza going up Lake Como road than attempt i70 west bound on a Saturday morning between 6-9.
I started following that Instagram account "I-70 Things" for a little bit, thinking it would grant me some sort of enlightenment watching clips of apocalyptic traffic every weekend, but eventually it just made me depressed and anxious, so I had to unfollow. Chromosome deficiency and watching gridlock traffic 24/7 has its comedic limitations.