How long?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

How long?

Post by summitstep »

Planning on heading up Holy Cross next week. Want to know if any of you can tell me about how long in time it will take to drive to Half Moon TH from Leadville. Looks like someone said plan an hour from rt 24 to the TH and seems like driving up in the night and maybe catching a nap might be best tactic. Also, Roach takes you to Vail and down but it seems 24 right out of north Leadville is wiser. Trying to balance sleep and sanity with a very early start for the hike. Thanks in advance for any input you can share.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How long?

Post by JChitwood »

If coming from Leadville take Hwy 24 to Minturn. A few miles south of Minturn take a left on Tigiwon Road and drive it to the end. I was up there last August for Holy Cross Ridge and no way it took an hour from Hwy 24 but I have a beat up 20 year old Subaru and probably drive it faster than I should. If you're going on a weekend don't count on a lot of sleep as dozens of vehicles will be arriving all night long.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood