4wd Road Elbert East Ridge

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
paul109876
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (12)

4wd Road Elbert East Ridge

Post by paul109876 »

Does anyone have any info on Forest Service Rd 125 1.B that leads to the Elbert East Ridge Trailhead?
I'd like to save some newbies some mileage if possible.

Thanks
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Re: 4wd Road Elbert East Ridge

Post by KentonB »

It's been a few years since I was there, but I remember it being pretty easy (as 4WD roads go). Had no trouble whatsoever in my stock Yukon. You'll end up parking in a beautiful Aspen grove as I recall. I think we only saw one other vehicle there too when we went. It's a great route!
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I was there in 2014. My friend took a Dodge Ram up it and never took it out of 2WD. At the time I thought that anything with decent clearance could make it up there.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

I drove up there in a RAV4 a few years ago, no problem until about 50 yards from the end of the road, and I parked before that last rocky section. The road is not steep, just a few rocks. Also hiked up the road May 2015 for a snow climb of Elbert, road seemed about the same in the areas it wasn't snow-covered.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

An older outback made it to the TH when I was up there last month. I never took my jeep out of 2wd on the way up either.
Where ever you are... There you are.
paul109876
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by paul109876 »

I've been there before but it has been a few years.
Thanks for the info
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.