TH access Schofield Park

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

TH access Schofield Park

Post by sad2 »

Hello

I called both Crested Butte and the Forest Service and neither had firsthand knowledge. Can someone tell me what type of vehicle is required to arrive at the Trailhead near Emerald Lake/Schofield Pass in order to hike the Crested Butte to Aspen trail over West Maroon Pass. Is 4x4 required? High clearance vehicle? Will it be safe to bring a Honda Accord?

Finally, is there dispersed camping available?

Thank you.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Re: TH access Schofield Park

Post by gb »

There is no dispersed camping in the Gothic corridor from June 15 to Aug 15. That just started this year.

I drove to Schofield park 20 years ago in a Honda Prelude, but the road is a little rougher than that now. There are some drainage berms below Emerald that might require some careful driving. There is plenty of traffic if timing allowed you to stick out your thumb...
sad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

gb wrote:There is no dispersed camping in the Gothic corridor from June 15 to Aug 15. That just started this year.

I drove to Schofield park 20 years ago in a Honda Prelude, but the road is a little rougher than that now. There are some drainage berms below Emerald that might require some careful driving. There is plenty of traffic if timing allowed you to stick out your thumb...

Thanks gb. I'm trying to avoid starting from the Aspen side due to the red tape/rules/regs there regarding shuttle, etc.

But it sounds like the road to access the trailhead from the Crested Butte side may be too much for my low clearance vehicle. Any others been over Schofield Pass from Crested Butte and have accounts of the driving conditions?
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

I've done that drive many times, in a Honda Accord, family van, Subaru, etc. No problems. You will see all kinds of cars at that trailhead. The snow slide area below the lake can be tough if debris piles up too much but it is usually passable.

There are numerous places to camp at and near the West Maroon trailhead. If that is crowded you can keep going to the old Schofield town site, or, if you have 4WD, you can also go south to the Paradise Divide, which has about a half dozen dispersed camping spots.

The biggest challenge is being patient when you get stuck behind people crawling up the road gawking at flowers and peaks who wont let you go by.
sad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

pmeadco wrote:I've done that drive many times, in a Honda Accord, family van, Subaru, etc. No problems. You will see all kinds of cars at that trailhead. The snow slide area below the lake can be tough if debris piles up too much but it is usually passable.

There are numerous places to camp at and near the West Maroon trailhead. If that is crowded you can keep going to the old Schofield town site, or, if you have 4WD, you can also go south to the Paradise Divide, which has about a half dozen dispersed camping spots.

The biggest challenge is being patient when you get stuck behind people crawling up the road gawking at flowers and peaks who wont let you go by.
Thank you pmeadco.
beerhiker
14ers: 10 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beerhiker »

I was up there on the 15th, you may scrape a few places in a Accord but I think it is doable if you are careful, and yes they have closed down Gothic valley for camping until Aug 15th, I did see people camping at the West Maroon trailhead but do not know if that is part of the shut down or not. Have fun!
sarahhaubert
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sarahhaubert »

I just did this to avoid Maroon Creek road, and while it was epically beautiful, I may have been better off just driving to Aspen before 8am. Once you drive to the ski hill N of CB, allow 45m + to the W Maroon parking. I assumed I could do it faster in my truck, but there was insane traffic (on the way in and out). Low clearance would be a little rough at times, but doable. Mainly I'd be worried about 2wd if it was wet, the mud right around the pass can get epic.
sad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

Sarah

What time did you encounter the traffic?
sarahhaubert
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sarahhaubert »

I was headed in between 9a and 10a, and the parking was overflowing when I got there (which means there was traffic all morning), plus about 30 mtn bikers on the road, and many setting up their shuttle. Out around 3p. 2 way traffic during both time frames.
sad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

sarahhaubert wrote:I was headed in between 9a and 10a, and the parking was overflowing when I got there (which means there was traffic all morning), plus about 30 mtn bikers on the road, and many setting up their shuttle. Out around 3p. 2 way traffic during both time frames.
thanks.