Tabeguache Jennings Creek TH

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HarknessHooligans
14ers: 50 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (15)

Tabeguache Jennings Creek TH

Post by HarknessHooligans »

We are planning a trip to hike the West Ridge route but need more info on the 4wd road. We have 2004 Subaru Forester with a 1 in lift. So it has 8.5' ground clearance. Could our vehicle make it up this road? (We have made it up the Antero road past Baldwin Creek but that is the Max our car can handle)

Also, any advice on the trail itself would be helpful since its not well traveled
Last edited by HarknessHooligans on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvester
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tabeguache Jennings Creek TH

Post by Harvester »

If you've made it that far up Antero and Winfield you will have no issue with the road to Jennings Creek TH. The actual TH is not well marked and there is only parking for 2 vehicles on the side of the road.

The trail itself is fairly well defined. There is some wandering in the basin, but you're always heading towards the saddle, and after that its just a ridge walk to the summit (If you find a big arrow made out of rocks in the basin, follow its point and you will regain the trail on the other side of the marshy area). Its a beautiful hike, enjoy!
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

Pretty similar to Baldwin Cr...rocky, rocky but no real "obstacles"
HarknessHooligans
Trip Reports (15)

After Baldwin Gulch I dont want to repeat another road like that. It was very nerve-wracking.

And I thought I went all the way up Winfield but actually didn't do the last 4wd rough section.

I guess we will make a go for it and just take it slow and hope for the best.

We want to start the hike in the dark...sounds like the first 700 ft of trail is easy to follow....but is the first left turn off to Jennings Creek hard to spot?
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Once you clear the trees, just make sure you head left around the pond (pic 3). There will be sparse segments of trail here and there, but just continue up the valley and then you will see where you gain the saddle (pic 10). Did this route about a month ago. Didn't see a single other hiker the entire way until the summit. Loved it.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Baldwin Gulch is way more difficult than the road to the Huron TH from Winfield and Huron is harder than getting to Jennings Creek. I elected not to take my Suby Outback to the Huron TH last Saturday but on arrival there were 3 Outbacks and 2 Foresters. Take it slow to Jennings and you will be fine. I got my 98 Outback all the way to Baldwin Creek in 2000 but the road is much rougher now.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
HarknessHooligans
Trip Reports (15)

That makes me feel much better! We actually took our Suby up Huron to the end last year with no issues. And most of the other side of Winfield for La Plata. Glad to hear everyone's thoughts on difficulty.

I'm guessing we should be fine if we take it slow and careful. Planning to head up the evening before so we can do it in daylight.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice!
LoveThisSite
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LoveThisSite »

FWIW, I drove a Standard Forester to the Jennings Creek trailhead last fall. There was just a couple of spots last year which required me to take a careful line, but other than that I had no issues. It's a nice route, just remember to not head down McCoy Gulch on the way down. The natural line of going down heads down McCoy if you don't pay attention.. and people have been rescued from McCoy Gulch.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

It's that time of year, so if if you summit Tabeguache, be on the lookout for ...
fishphoto.jpg
fishphoto.jpg (1.61 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Was just up there last weekend. There is a spot on the road shortly after the Angel campground that has some very large boulders and deep dips. I have driven through some relatively insane stuff in an Impreza, but would not attempt that section of road in anything other than an pickup or real SUV. After than, the road goes back to total gravy all the way to the trailhead.

As for the route itself, I'd reconsider. We came down that way and it was a very steep, annoyingly loose scree fest. Going up it would be a lot of non-enjoyable slogging to get a ridge that you're done with the in the blink of an eye.
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

Did Tabaguache two weeks ago via Jennings Creek Basin. My 2010 Outback made it to the trailhead (same trailhead for the old Forest Service trail) without much difficulty, although there was one short uphill stretch which felt a little dicey. I had to back up and gun it a little harder the second time, but I made it. I would say the road conditions were very similar to Winfield (as far as the cemetery).

What denvermikey said about the way up. I studied the photos posted on this site and had no difficulty finding the route. Beautiful basin, a herd of mountain goats was hanging out next to the stream just before the ascent from the basin to the saddle.

Interesting short scramble just before the summit.
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

AyeYo wrote:Was just up there last weekend. There is a spot on the road shortly after the Angel campground that has some very large boulders and deep dips. I have driven through some relatively insane stuff in an Impreza, but would not attempt that section of road in anything other than an pickup or real SUV. After than, the road goes back to total gravy all the way to the trailhead.

As for the route itself, I'd reconsider. We came down that way and it was a very steep, annoyingly loose scree fest. Going up it would be a lot of non-enjoyable slogging to get a ridge that you're done with the in the blink of an eye.
You may have been on the old, now-closed SW Ridge route. The West Ridge route is not bad at all and a good way to get Tabeguache, without having to go over Shavano. :)
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs