where do i camp to climb longs?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ballinbu
Trip Reports (0)

where do i camp to climb longs?

Post by ballinbu »

i tried to search for an answer to this question but i couldn't find one. any help would be appreciated. i'm planning on heading up this evening from denver to climb longs. i'm not sure where to camp.. should i just pack a backpacking pack and walk till the sun goes down and hope i find a spot to set up shop in the rain? because that's pretty much my loose plan as of now. help a brotha out! and am i supposed to get a permit? thanks y'all!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: where do i camp to climb longs?

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

You need a permit and a bear canister and reservations. If you want to do something like you describe, go outside of RMNP/IP.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

On short notice, the best you'll be able to do is sleep discretely in your vehicle at/near the trailhead.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Tory Wells wrote:On short notice, the best you'll be able to do is sleep discretely in your vehicle at/near the trailhead.
I was going to say "at home" but the above is about your only other option.
ballinbu
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ballinbu »

copy that. guess i'll just wake up super early tomrw. less fun, but at least i won't be pissing anyone off :)
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

check your PM's.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

If you go after dark, you can put down a sleeping bag and ground pad in the adjacent picnic area by the TH. Wake up before sunrise and start your hike. I had no problem with that scheme even on a busy Friday night/Saturday morning. Alternatively sleep in your car like most of the other hikers.