Handies trailhead access

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
estesmtnjim
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Handies trailhead access

Post by estesmtnjim »

Anybody know the approximate distance and drive time from Lake City to the Handies trailhead access? We're going to hike the southwest slopes up, and was wondering what time to leave our camp site in Lake City...

Thanks!

Jim
taboose395
14ers: 30 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Handies trailhead access

Post by taboose395 »

Haven't driven it in a while, but if I remeber correctly it is about 2.5 hours.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

taboose395 wrote:Haven't driven it in a while, but if I remeber correctly it is about 2.5 hours.
Not even close. I would say 30 minutes to the Grizzly Gulch side, and 45-50 for American Basin (SW Slopes).
Fr3ako
14ers: 38 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Fr3ako »

Less than 1 hour from Lake City to Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch for Handies East slopes.
Parked there last year, climbed Sunshine/Redcloud one day, Handies the next one. Slept in my Jeep on the parking lot, you can pitch your tent and you also have toilets there.
Who needs a thermometer? That’s what my nipples are for. -- Kintz
There are two rules to success in life. 1) Never tell everything you know. -- Roger H. Lincoln
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffth5 »

Agree with 30mins to SC/GG and 45-50 mins to Handies. Road is 2wd to SC/GG, 4wd nice to have but not necessary from SC/GG to the Handies turnoff from the Alpine Loop and the last bit to the upper Handies TH is 4wd (only about 0.5 miles of 4WD - easily walkable).

There is amazing dispersed camping between SC/GG and Handies - I would recommend that over Lake City camping unless you want the access to town.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Going slow, in the dark, in a 2wd pickup took us 30-35 minutes to get the Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch TH and the American Basin trailhead is only 2-3 miles further. I'd say an hour tops. It only took me and my two kids, who were 12 and 10 yrs old at the time, about an hour and a half to walk the road from American Basin back to Grizzly Gulch when we did Handies. We ascended Grizzly Gulch and descended via America Basin.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
estesmtnjim
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by estesmtnjim »

Thanks to all who answered! We'll plan on leaving our campground at Lake City about 0730 am, hoping to be on the Southwest access trailhead around 0900 am. From the trip reports, this should be a fine start to a beautiful "relatively easy" Handies Peak adventure.

Jim

p.s. we just "strolled" across Rocky Mountain National Park last wednesday, from Bear Lake to Green Mtn. trailhead, 16 miles, and had an awesome day! attached is a pic from the Tonahutu trail not far from Flat Top.