Maroon bells

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tom oconnor
14ers: 48 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Maroon bells

Post by tom oconnor »

Planning a climb of the Bells in early September. Looking for info on how road access works. Can I get up the road and to the trailhead at 3-4 am? Is it only closed to vehicles for certain hours. Is there any car camping allowed at the trailhead?
Any info appreciated.
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Maroon bells

Post by Marmot96 »

There is no car camping at the trailhead, although you can camp along the road on Castle Creek Road which is close by. And yes, you can access the park at any hour, you just have to fill out a small form and pay $10 at the gate.
Hobbes301
14ers: 58  7  5 
13ers: 82 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hobbes301 »

You can drive to the trailhead at 3-4am and pay $10 at the self pay station. Just to clarify: the road is closed to traffic 8am-5pm and is accessed only by bus during that time. So yes, you can access the Bells at any hour, but you cannot drive your own car to the TH at any hour. http://www.rfta.com/routes/maroon-bells/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also a lot of private property just along Castle Creek Rd, so not sure where to recommend camping. Finding nearby camping is definitely the first crux to a Bells climb.
KC Masterpiece
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KC Masterpiece »

When you say "Bells" does that mean a traverse is in order? Just summited South Maroon last week and would LOVE to get the traverse in this season. Let me know if you could use another climbing partner!

As far as camping goes you have a few options (I have worked in Aspen for the past 10 years during the summer). Castle Creek Road has some great camping all the way at the end a few miles up Pearl Pass / Montazuma (4wd road but Outback territory to the camp sites), which is free, however you would then have about a 30 - 40 min drive to the Maroon Lake parking area. If you wanted to hike in for a closer camp the night before there are a few campsites right at the south maroon trailhead past Crater Lake. I am almost positive that the entire Maroon Bells - Snowmass Wilderness requires bear canisters though so be aware.

In addition to what others have said about road access. I am almost positive that you can still drive to the parking lot any time of day IF you are planning to overnight and have the proper permit.

I have also seen PLENTY of people sleeping in or under their cars at the parking area in the early morning prepping for climbs over the years. It may not be allowed but if you are napping on a pad under your vehicle from 10:00pm to 3:00 am I doubt any rangers would bother you.
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

As of 2016 overnight backpackers are no longer allowed to drive to Maroon Lake from 8-5 and must use the bus service. Also, USFS has really cracked down on people sleeping in their cars at the TH in the past two years.

If I were driving in from out of state I would not risk my climb on sleeping in my car. Plan to arrive early and hike in and camp or stay on Castle Creek.
tom oconnor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tom oconnor »

Very helpful info on access. Looks like I need to camp somewhere else, but access not an issue for my timing.
Thanks to all for input.
No plans on traverse at this point. Will do some research and advise if plans change. Thx
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

Tom

Did we climb Crestone Needle a few summers ago?
tom oconnor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tom oconnor »

Yes we did. Older but no wiser!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Cool Hand Luke wrote: If I were driving in from out of state I would not risk my climb on sleeping in my car. Plan to arrive early and hike in and camp or stay on Castle Creek.
Parts of Castle Creek Road have very wealthy owners patrolled by Aspen police and private security.
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

Cool Hand Luke wrote:As of 2016 overnight backpackers are no longer allowed to drive to Maroon Lake from 8-5 and must use the bus service.
This is not a true statement. I was there on July 6th at approximately 11am, drove right past the bus stop/terminal all the way to the entrance. I informed him I was a climber/hiker and that I would be in for a couple days. I then paid my $10 and drove to the overnight parking lot. First stopping in the main parking lot to stretch and walk down to the lake.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

peter303 wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote: If I were driving in from out of state I would not risk my climb on sleeping in my car. Plan to arrive early and hike in and camp or stay on Castle Creek.
Parts of Castle Creek Road have very wealthy owners patrolled by Aspen police and private security.
(Edited) Solution: There are areas to car camp 30-40 min from Maroon Lake. Send me a PM for details.
Last edited by Phill the Thrill on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Phill the Thrill wrote:
peter303 wrote:
Solution...
Phill, not picking, I just don't think it's a good idea to share that information with 1,368 people on the website at this moment, and thousands more over the next few days. Your 2 to 3 cars a night will grow to a packed lot through summer months resulting in possible closure to overnight camping. A PM to the person asking would be sufficient.