I-70 labor day weekend advice

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Re: I-70 labor day weekend advice

Post by I Man »

PSA: phish plays 3 shows in Denver every Labor Day Weekend. No excuse for going to the mountains! :)
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I Man wrote:PSA: phish plays 3 shows in Denver every Labor Day Weekend. No excuse for going to the mountains! :)
Well, like comprehending the arduous accomplishment of an 8000M summit, I think this is something that will be lost on most people... :-"
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Self-driving cars will solve all these issues.

8)
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

I Man wrote:PSA: phish plays 3 shows in Denver every Labor Day Weekend. No excuse for going to the mountains! :)
This right here is SOOOO true:

http://livemusicblog.com/2010/08/02/vid ... ike-phish/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

larkinrx2 wrote:
PaliKona wrote:The infrastructure is what is the major problem. It's light years behind and not keeping up with the population. And only 1 viable route to most mountain activities. The 4 years of construction to widen like 10 miles of EB road for a toll lane has made a tiny dent in the horrific I70 problem.
I think there have been some near Dumont, where the lane is barely wider than a SUV. Pathetic planning.

i love the removal of any safety shoulder to accomplish this task, still waiting for the right accident to turn this into a cluster f**k s**t show with the tow trucks having to drive the wrong way up the road to start the removal process
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

SkaredShtles wrote:

http://livemusicblog.com/2010/08/02/vid ... ike-phish/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's always been a funny video. Too bad all 3 nights are sold out. I'd much rather go see Phish than battle the ridiculous traffic that weekend. Always have the next weekend for mountains! Have fun everyone that isn't at Phish!
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

SkaredShtles wrote:

Classic! I think that gets posted here regularly this time of year.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

jerseybrian wrote:Tooo bad all 3 nights are sold out. I'd much rather go see Phish than battle the ridiculous traffic that weekend. Always have the next weekend for mountains! Have fun everyone that isn't at Phish!
JFYI, I have a feeling the ticket prices will be coming back to Earth pretty soon. I think a lot of people who *ah hem* haven't read the effing book (Phish joke for those who know) are trying to sell them for way over face-value. Once we get closer to the dates, they'll panic and start dumping them, and I've seen it before. So hopefully you can get a ticket!

Public ticket sales have been a joke for all sorts of shows I've been trying to go to, but I got lucky with Dick's this year. Don't get me started about Tool tickets.

Agreed with others though on not wanting to deal with the mountain madness that weekend. If you must, I'd say try southern or northern highways (i.e. everything that isn't 285 and 70)...
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

atalarico wrote: Agreed with others though on not wanting to deal with the mountain madness that weekend. If you must, I'd say try southern or northern highways (i.e. everything that isn't 285 and 70)...
Lily Lake TH (Mt. Lindsey) is supposed to be open Sept. 1. Good time to check it out.

Sure beats a Phish concert.... :barf:
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

The solution is to not go anywhere near I-70/285/RMNP on Labor Day weekend and go other places instead: Winds, Tetons, High Uintas, Sangres for a start. Plenty of other places within striking distance from the Front Range that won't be a parking lot on Monday afternoon. Or if you do take I-70/285 just make it an action packed weekend so you're driving back at 2:00am on Tuesday morning fueled by double fisting gas station coffee. It might shorten your lifespan, but it's an efficient way to get stuff done.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Thanks god that freaking Renaissance Festival in Larkspur is done! That thing goes like 7 weeks and slowed me down on two trips to the Sangres this year. Makes I-25 like I-70 while it's going on.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

^^^ that many people go to the Ren Fest?

I bet it would be faster to go from Denver to Summit County Friday by heading south to Co Springs, then up to BV then north to Copper.