Road to Clohesy Lake

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ahrendse
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (1)

Road to Clohesy Lake

Post by ahrendse »

How difficult is the drive up towards Clohesy Lake? I feel like the two stream crossings shouldn't be as much of an issue at this point in the summer. For those who have driven it, could a Rav4 make it up? If not, how about an Xterra? I generally feel pretty good about taking the Rav4 up difficult roads and have gotten it up Jennings Creek, Baldwin Gulch, Matterhorn Creek, and Nellie Creek. Wondering how she would handle this one. Any advice is appreciated!
https://listsofjohn.com/m/ahrendse
`You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Road to Clohesy Lake

Post by Yikes »

Xterra...yes. rav4....you might be leaving it in the streambed. There was a rocky exit on the far side.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I've done it in a Ford Escape, but I would not take my Rav4 up there. As Yikes implied, the first couple hundred feet past the crossing is the crux. I've driven across the Rio Grande in the Rav, so wouldn't sweat the crossing this time of year.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Yikes wrote:Xterra...yes. rav4....you might be leaving it in the streambed. There was a rocky exit on the far side.
+1

it can be a very rough road
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
aleugers
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aleugers »

I've taken my stock Xterra all the way up twice. One or two spots to think about but I had no doubts.

I wouldn't take a RAV4 because I'd constantly be worried that I'd end up stuck in the middle of the trail leaking some sort of fluid. It's most likely possible but would probably take longer than hiking it. The issue to me would be the entire trail, thinking its two miles, is at the limit of the RAV4. So it would be slow going. Then the couple spots I slowed down in my Xterra you may be getting out stacking rocks, trying to create a safe path.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

The RAV-4 wouldn't make it. Although this time of year the XTerra should be fine.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

We planned to take a Rav4 to Clothesy Lake two years ago. We'd heard, like Yikes and Traveling Matt said, that the first hill past the second stream crossing was the crux. Test drove past that spot the day before our planned hike (in daylight) to make sure the Rav4 could handle it. Made it okay, turned around, clipped a rock on the return trip and blew a tire. After we changed the tire and drove out, we decided the LaPlata trailhead off Highway 82 was a more suitable destination for the Rav4.

We had taken similar vehicles up Matterhorn Creek, Nellie Creek, Yankee Boy Basin, Lead King Basin, South Colony Lakes, etc. etc. I'm not sure the Clothesy Lake road was worse, maybe just our luck ran out.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer