Road conditions to Lake Como TH (Blanca Pk)

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
marksan53
Trip Reports (0)

Road conditions to Lake Como TH (Blanca Pk)

Post by marksan53 »

Regarding the "road" to Lake Como, I've read that a standard 4WD vehicle can only get to about 8900 ft and that a specialty, higher clearance vehicle is necessary to get to at least 10,000 ft. However, I recently saw a post from someone who took their standard 4WD to about 10,000 because some of the road had been cleared or worked on. Anyone have any recent or more detailed info? Thanks.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Road conditions to Lake Como TH (Blanca Pk)

Post by jrs1965 »

That road sucks so bad. In mid-June I made it to the switchback at 10k in my stock Ram 1500. There had been some recent work on the road but it was still very rough. I blew a tire coming down, not a fun place to be switching out tires...
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

You could push a standard 4WD vehicle to 10k even before the road was graded, we took a Jeep Cherokee, Ford F150 and Jeep Wrangler sport all stock up to about 10k a few times. However, after doing that we always park around 8,900, the camping is way better and it takes me just as long to walk that 1000 vert as it does to drive it and it more enjoyable walking to me than bouncing up and down in a 4WD vehicle.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:You could push a standard 4WD vehicle to 10k even before the road was graded, we took a Jeep Cherokee, Ford F150 and Jeep Wrangler sport all stock up to about 10k a few times. However, after doing that we always park around 8,900, the camping is way better and it takes me just as long to walk that 1000 vert as it does to drive it and it more enjoyable walking to me than bouncing up and down in a 4WD vehicle.
Agree absolutely 100%.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
marksan53
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marksan53 »

Thanks for the info, all. Good stuff to know ahead of time. I appreciate it.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

The road was effectively neutered sometime in June of this year and you now can take a stock SUV up to about 10,200, which is the last switchback before the road heads up into the forest for awhile. The obstacle known as "Jaws .5" also was also largely destroyed and is now fairly easy to go over even with a stock SUV. Don't misunderstand, it's still a pretty rough road and past that last switchback you better have something pretty beefy and 10+ inches of clearance.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Bummer. The dumbing down of yet another classic 14er approach. Pretty soon they'll all be staircases with railings.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hberry »

mtree wrote:Bummer. The dumbing down of yet another classic 14er approach. Pretty soon they'll all be staircases with railings.
A staircase and railings might make it difficult to get a 4x4 up the road... :lol:
jscully
14ers: 49  2  10 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscully »

Speaking from last weekends experience. 5.5 miles from the start is about the limit for a stock 4wd. After that there is very loose switchback with ball bearing river rock and a rock obstacle in the middle that youll need a spotter for. You can negotiate this but it isnt worth it, because right after that is a mud pit and then jaws 1. So my advice is to pull off before the the right hand switchback 5.5 miles up. Theres room for about 3-4 vehicles there. The lake isnt very far away.