Waterton Canyon is closed again...What? Again?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Waterton Canyon is closed again...What? Again?

Post by boudreaux »

Yep, it's closed again to finally finish the postponed dam project, the canyon has been closed since Tuesday, Sept 6th! I don't know how long this closure will last, but the good news is the canyon will be open on Sat and Sun, and the bad news, closed M-F. I expect at least 60 days on this latest closure, hopefully less.
Ragin Cajun
pman
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Waterton Canyon is closed again...What? Again?

Post by pman »

This is such a farce. Denver Water started this project last spring before a huge spring run off and had to abandon it. The Whole thing is about diverting water to the Highline Canal which only needs water for recreational purposes and could be done with a large pump.
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

I saw a sign that said 'Save the Highline Canal' If these people think the Highline is in trouble, then why is DW rebuilding this dam?
Ragin Cajun
Derby Ale
14ers: 26 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Derby Ale »

pman wrote:This is such a farce. Denver Water started this project last spring before a huge spring run off and had to abandon it. The Whole thing is about diverting water to the Highline Canal which only needs water for recreational purposes and could be done with a large pump.
Please explain. As the canal is dry most of the time ...what are you talking about with recreational purposes of the Highline Canal? I've never seen a single person doing anything recreational in the canal (but plenty of walking, running, biking, even photography on the trail). I once saw a traffic cone in the canal. Was that for some sort of kayak slalom?
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I think that Denver Water is planning to make a push in 2017 to get the cities and muni districts that the canal passes through to help fund a large overhaul of the canal and, more importantly, the right of way on the sides that is used as a walking or biking path. In some areas the path is in great shape but in others it's in disrepair so they're looking for a unifying master plan to shape the future development of the canal.

http://highlinecanal.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where ever you are... There you are.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

boudreaux wrote:Yep, it's closed again to finally finish the postponed dam project, the canyon has been closed since Tuesday, Sept 6th! I don't know how long this closure will last, but the good news is the canyon will be open on Sat and Sun, and the bad news, closed M-F. I expect at least 60 days on this latest closure, hopefully less.
yeah it sucks. Right during wild plum season too.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Maybe with all their water conserving practices working so well, their budget has been getting smaller to take care if the canal, pushing it farther away from a priority. Is DW looking to unload the albatross so to speak? Highlinecanal.org probably wants to make sure they restore it from a historical perspective, and preserve that experience we all enjoy on the canal.
Ragin Cajun
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Waterton will be closed til November 30, 2016!
Ragin Cajun