Maroon Bells 4WD Dispersed Camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Maroon Bells 4WD Dispersed Camping

Post by atalarico »

Hey all,

I found a few threads about camping near the Bells but nothing was quite spot on for what I am looking for. My climbing partner and I unfortunately had to bail on our Grand Teton attempt this weekend (snow), so we're going to get after the Bells Traverse instead. Ideally I'm looking for nice 4WD dispersed primitive areas that are as close to the TH as I can get without being in the car camping sites that are along the Maroon Creek road. I'm well versed in the ways of National Forest dispersed off-road camping, but I'm not very familiar with the Aspen area at all. I have a lifted 97 4Runner, so short of a road like Como and going up things like Jaws, I'm pretty comfortable with 4WD roads in this beast.

We're hoping to set up a nice base-camp and hang out in the area starting tomorrow night. Aiming for Bells Traverse, and then Pyramid one of the other days, or just some climbing up at Independence Pass if it's nice out. I'm sure we won't be able to leave my tent up if my car isn't there, so hopefully we can get back to the same spot each day if we venture out.

Thanks!
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Maroon Bells 4WD Dispersed Camping

Post by fahixson »

I'm no Aspen area expert, but Castle Creek Rd is a common answer to questions like this. There are designated sites below the creek crossing and then dispersed camping beyond the crossing. I would be comfortable leaving a tent there and coming back to it even if your vehicle is not there.

The drive between Maroon TH and camping along Castle Creek Rd takes longer than you would expect, but I don't recall other camping options from 4WD dispersed sites. Seems like Lincoln Gulch (or other campgrounds on the west side of Indpendence) take about the same amount of time as driving from Castle Creek. Those aren't 4WD only access though.
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Thanks for the info! I saw Castle Creek come up a few times too, and then I pulled it up on a map. I read someone say it's like 20-30 minutes to the Bells TH from sites along Castle Creek, but I have my doubts looking at the map, especially if I want to camp further up in dispersed/secluded areas.

Are you just saying I can leave my tent so you can come steal it!?!?! :lol: Clever!
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

atalarico wrote:Thanks for the info! I saw Castle Creek come up a few times too, and then I pulled it up on a map. I read someone say it's like 20-30 minutes to the Bells TH from sites along Castle Creek, but I have my doubts looking at the map, especially if I want to camp further up in dispersed/secluded areas.

Are you just saying I can leave my tent so you can come steal it!?!?! :lol: Clever!
Depending on how far up you go, 20 minutes is a very good estimate. I went up maybe 5-6 miles (saw plenty of open "sites" before that too) and made it to the Bells TH in 20 minutes flat.
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Marmot96 wrote:
atalarico wrote:Thanks for the info! I saw Castle Creek come up a few times too, and then I pulled it up on a map. I read someone say it's like 20-30 minutes to the Bells TH from sites along Castle Creek, but I have my doubts looking at the map, especially if I want to camp further up in dispersed/secluded areas.

Depending on how far up you go, 20 minutes is a very good estimate. I went up maybe 5-6 miles (saw plenty of open "sites" before that too) and made it to the Bells TH in 20 minutes flat.
Well...that'll do it then! Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience. I'm going to put a bookmark on this one though since it looks like my partner and I might be back on for the Grand this weekend. The weather is toying with us.
fahixson
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

atalarico wrote:Are you just saying I can leave my tent so you can come steal it!?!?! :lol: Clever!
No, I'm pretty happy with my own tents. The only time I've had a problem leaving a tent while hiking or driving around is when I didn't stake it down well while hiking Belford/Oxford and the wind took it for a ride.

20 min seems optimistic. It's 9 miles from the roundabout to the end of the Maroon Creek Rd and 12.5 miles from the roundabout to the end of the paved Castle Creek Rd. Unless you're driving 60+ MPH, it's tough to make it 22 miles in 20 minutes. I'd plan on at least 45 min and maybe longer depending on how far you drive up Castle Creek. You'll also have to stop to fill out the permit and pay fee at the entrance station and don't forget about Maroon Creek Rd driving restrictions (bus only from 8am-5pm). I believe that restriction runs through the end of September, but you could call ranger station to see if they relax the rules this time of year. If you're camped elsewhere and driving in to hike Bells, Pyramid, etc., you'll likely be on the road well before 8am though.
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

fahixson wrote:
atalarico wrote:Are you just saying I can leave my tent so you can come steal it!?!?! :lol: Clever!
No, I'm pretty happy with my own tents. The only time I've had a problem leaving a tent while hiking or driving around is when I didn't stake it down well while hiking Belford/Oxford and the wind took it for a ride.

20 min seems optimistic. It's 9 miles from the roundabout to the end of the Maroon Creek Rd and 12.5 miles from the roundabout to the end of the paved Castle Creek Rd. Unless you're driving 60+ MPH, it's tough to make it 22 miles in 20 minutes. I'd plan on at least 45 min and maybe longer depending on how far you drive up Castle Creek. You'll also have to stop to fill out the permit and pay fee at the entrance station and don't forget about Maroon Creek Rd driving restrictions (bus only from 8am-5pm). I believe that restriction runs through the end of September, but you could call ranger station to see if they relax the rules this time of year. If you're camped elsewhere and driving in to hike Bells, Pyramid, etc., you'll likely be on the road well before 8am though.
I'll admit that I'm a bit paranoid about my gear disappearing when I'm not around, unless I'm way back on a rough 4WD road, backpacking, or at least set back far enough into the woods where our site is hidden from plain view. I can't help it!

Alright, so somewhere between 20-45 minutes is more accurate? I guess even 45 minutes is fine, and when we eventually do it we'll be getting a proper alpine start, so the bus rules won't be in effect for another few hours.

Cheers!
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

I have camped several times at a location just off Castle Creek Rd. and it takes me 40 min to get to the Maroon Lake TH. There may be places to camp that are closer, but it is a winding road that takes longer than you'd like.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

I'm just curious where abouts on Google Maps the road turns to dirt and it becomes permissible to camp off the road? Is it past Ashcroft? Plus the road splits into Pearl Pass road and Copper Creek road.

Also, do I even need to drive my truck for this, or will my Golf do just fine? Doesn't seem like it's a 4WD road really.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

No, you don't need a 4WD vehicle to find a decent spot along Maroon Creek Rd. to car camp, though there are places you can choose to go with a 4WD vehicle that will be further away and more secluded, e.g. past the Castle Creek TH if you're headed that way.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Phill the Thrill wrote:No, you don't need a 4WD vehicle to find a decent spot along Maroon Creek Rd. to car camp, though there are places you can choose to go with a 4WD vehicle that will be further away and more secluded, e.g. past the Castle Creek TH if you're headed that way.
Perfect! Sounds like we'll be headed past castle creek th then! Thanks for the info!
fahixson
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Castle Creek Rd turns to dirt at 12.5 miles from the roundabout. It's past Ashcroft and I think it's even labeled Castle Creek TH on Google Maps. There are 6 or 7 designated/numbered campsites below the creek crossing. The first 3-4 of those you may be able to get to in a regular car. The last couple, I'd definitely recommend somewhere around 8" clearance minimum and I'd say no shot crossing the creek in a regular passenger car. I think crossing and road in general is much worse than it was 6-8 years ago. There are numerous dispersed sites after crossing the creek. I drove a Rouge to the creek crossing twice last month but didn't feel comfortable going through it and stopped at the last site before the crossing. A Golf would not have made it that far but probably a good shot at getting to sites 1 or 2 unless they're already full.

As for camping somewhere along Castle Creek Rd before it turns dirt or anywhere along Maroon Creek Rd other than Silver Bar/Bell/Queen, someone else can chime in. There may be places to camp (someone above mentioned 5-6 miles up Castle Creek Rd) in those areas, I've just never looked for them and stuck with spots I knew.