Question about South Colony Lakes TH

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Question about South Colony Lakes TH

Post by steelfrog »

I took a white full size conversion van up one year about 5-6 years ago. Got some interesting looks.
Rambler
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Rambler »

Drove all the way up in my AWD Honda CRV with regular tires August 13th. I had to take an extra run at the exposed pipe portion of the road that was mentioned before because it was so steep. I'd call that the crux of it but there are definitely a few more spots that require caution, a good line, and (for me) a few leans out the window to ensure my tires were hitting (or missing) different spots. Lots of turn offs if you have to park it, just make sure you get past the private property areas. It was a pretty stressful drive up and down considering I had to drive back to KC in that car. Just depends on your comfort level I think.
Sglm14
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 74 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sglm14 »

Thank you all for your input. I changed plans for this weekend. I don't want to risk it. I can do it some other time. After all, I still have more 14ers to do. Only have 36 so far. If the road is worse than Grays/Torreys and more similar to Antero or Castle/Conundrum or Sneffels then I know I won't be able to do it. Thanks so much!!