Pikes Peak Trailhead Parking (Barr Trail)

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Pikes Peak Trailhead Parking (Barr Trail)

Post by painless4u2 »

justiner wrote:I get it, Pikes is a industrialized mountain, used for local propaganda of tourists dollars. It's like the Niagara Falls of National Monuments. I hope other mountains in CO don't fall victim to this in the future.
And miss out on all those delicious donuts on the summit?!

:barf:
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

painless4u2 wrote:
justiner wrote:I get it, Pikes is a industrialized mountain, used for local propaganda of tourists dollars. It's like the Niagara Falls of National Monuments. I hope other mountains in CO don't fall victim to this in the future.

Every time I am at the summit during the daytime, I somehow convince myself the donuts weren't that bad last time and that I won't throw up on the way down if I eat them. Never again.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

It's a BS, malicious system devised by the mayor, the city council and the parking board to screw the locals, generate revenue and possibly put Barr Camp out of business.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Those donuts helped powered me to Cañon City on bike!
Attachments
pikes_peak_summit_donuts.jpg
pikes_peak_summit_donuts.jpg (89.56 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

Yeah, but in some ways it isn't as bad as Longs. At least there are two commonly used access points to Pikes Peak: Barr and Crags. However, even with the new(ish) Crags trailhead that parking lot overflows down the valley on weekends during most of the summer.

The bigger problem is the USFS is very reluctant to add any new trails to the Pikes Peak area. They still have a vision of it being a wildlife refuge and are determined to not add any further human impact to the area. That is, no new trails, and if you consider that the Severy Creek Trail will never reopen there are actually fewer trails. Compound that with the fact that much of the south side of the peak is private property, and the only practical access on the north side is a toll road, and you don't have a lot of options.

From what I can see, most summit hikers are using the Crags to go up, and that makes sense from a management point of view. There are more feasible options for expanding capacity on the west side of the peak versus the east. Manitou is, and has always been, a tourist town tucked into a very limited area. You aren't going to expand the capacity there without adding expensive parking garages (already considered) or expanding public transit (happening now). The west side is essentially undeveloped and has lots of ways to accommodate more users. The downside of the west is it is another forty minutes of driving past Manitou.
RonfarZ3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RonfarZ3 »

Marmot96 wrote:
painless4u2 wrote:

Every time I am at the summit during the daytime, I somehow convince myself the donuts weren't that bad last time and that I won't throw up on the way down if I eat them. Never again.
See, you just have to get up there before it opens, then there's not even any temptation.
I managed to do that during my Barr Trail day hike this summer, arriving a good hour before it was set to open. I was a little bummed I couldn't re-fill water, but I had enough for the entire day already, regardless of the summit house.
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

pmeadco wrote:Yeah, but in some ways it isn't as bad as Longs.
Care to elaborate...other than parking ? I've never had a problem parking at Longs, ever. I gladly visit Longs Peak a few times a year.

In the 31 years I've lived in CO, I've been to Pikes Peak exactly once and the Incline once because they are complete s**t shows and will never go back. OK...maybe during winter I'd check out Pikes. Just let this mountain serve as an example. Let it be what it has become and hope it doesn't happen to anymore.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

In my opinion, these outrageous parking fees are just an attempt by Manitou to
fill their coffers by monetizing the donations and federal monies spent to upgrade the incline.

Shame on Manitou for being so shamelessly Greedy !

A solution:

The original Barr Trail parking lot is farther up Ruxton ave.
past the hydro plant. It is empty and unused. Open the gate
and use it as well as develop additional parking all the way up to
the first major water fall. This area is NOT pristine wilderness.
It is filled with industrial waste and has been used extensively since
people began exploring Pikes.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Monte Meals wrote: The original Barr Trail parking lot is farther up Ruxton ave.
past the hydro plant. It is empty and unused.
I honestly have no idea what you're referring to. How far up Ruxton is this supposed lot? There's barely room to turn around once you go past the Hydro Street turnoff to the current parking lot.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Jim,

If you like, I will be glad to show you not only the parking lot but also
all of the industrial waste.

My Borneman & Lampert guide book (1952) that I used when I first climbed
Pikes lists it. (Yes, I am old, fat, and slow as are others on this forum !)

Go past the hydo station and keep on walking. Do not turn around.
Eventually you will run into a gate

Go past the gate. Be careful of the spring on the uphill side - it will form
a ice slick in the winter that is dangerous. Stick to the uphill side and you
can avoid it.

The original parking lot is on the left - between the gravel road and the creek.

Be careful of all of the rusted metal/pipes/walkways. They are strewn everywhere.

Monte
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

^^^

Monte, The Borneman and Lampert guide 1st edition was published in 1977. I can't speak to the parking issues, but I just wanted to say that I rode the Incline in 1971 during my first hike of Pikes Peak.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Monte Meals wrote:...

My Borneman & Lampert guide book (1952) that I used when I first climbed
Pikes lists it. (Yes, I am old, fat, and slow as are others on this forum !)

Monte
This sounds more like the date for the 1st edition of Ormes.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.