La Plata Trailhead on CO 82

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

La Plata Trailhead on CO 82

Post by Ptglhs »

I know 82 is closed for the season. Where is the closure gate? Would a Subaru still be able to make it to the La Plata trailhead or should I look elsewhere for a hike tomorrow?
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: La Plata Trailhead on CO 82

Post by dpage »

Not speaking to road conditions but that TH is usually open year round.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Ptglhs wrote:I know 82 is closed for the season. Where is the closure gate? Would a Subaru still be able to make it to the La Plata trailhead or should I look elsewhere for a hike tomorrow?
It is not true that Road 82 is closed for the season, but the winter closure is located a few miles above the La Plata Trailhead and below the Independence Pass if you drive westward from US 24 route. The road itself is paved all the way so any passenger car can make it to the TH easily unless a heavy snowfall takes place and the road remains not plowed. I have been there.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Ptglhs wrote:I know 82 is closed for the season. Where is the closure gate? Would a Subaru still be able to make it to the La Plata trailhead or should I look elsewhere for a hike tomorrow?
Have you looked at the weather forecast for tomorrow? How about avy conditions? Are you aware that the portions of the summer route (trail) is prone to avy activity?

If you have answered no to any of the questions, maybe you should look elsewhere for a hike tomorrow.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

rijaca wrote:
Have you looked at the weather forecast for tomorrow? How about avy conditions? Are you aware that the portions of the summer route (trail) is prone to avy activity?

If you have answered no to any of the questions, maybe you should look elsewhere for a hike tomorrow.
Yes, on both google and mountain-forecast.com High between 17 and 12, low between 7 and 1, depending on which forecast one uses. Wind speed 20-30mph blowing east by southeast. Less than an inch of precipitation Friday am.

avalanche.state.co.us lists below treeline at 1/5 and near and above at 2/5. The northerly and north-easterly slopes are problematic. This is a bit of a concern since I'll leave the standard route ~11,000ft and go up the north face to the ridge line which then rejoins the standard route at about ~12,700. The avalanche danger is the portion of the route which is directly west of the ridgeline, hence the departure at 11,000ft.

I'm not stupid. If it looks dicey, or the weather goes to s**t I'll pack it in. It wouldn't be the 1st mountain I've turned around on while climbing. I don't *need* to summit, but if I can do so safely I will.

Your concern is appreciated. I notice you've done a lot more climbing than I have. If you have any advice I'll listen. Or if you want to come with be my guest.
rpdawes
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Most climbers go the alternate winter route to get to the base of the NW ridge in order to bypass the avalanche-prone west slope across which the standard (summer) route runs. You can view photo #1 under La Plata Peak - NW Ridge Route.
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

rpdawes wrote:Most climbers go the alternate winter route to get to the base of the NW ridge in order to bypass the avalanche-prone west slope across which the standard (summer) route runs. You can view photo #1 under La Plata Peak - NW Ridge Route.
Which si what I was referring to in my previous post. Thanks!
rpdawes
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Yes, we were talking about the same thing. I thought that that photo is worth viewing. A Chinese proverb: A picture is worth ten thousand words.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I doubt it's the case so early in the snow season, but the actual TH parking may be blocked by the snow berm CDOT creates there by repeated snowplowing. If not now, probable later in the winter. Not a big deal, just park on the TH side of 82, parallel to the road. That's what I had to do when I was there last March. Just fyi. Have fun!
-Tom
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Ptglhs wrote: Yes,...

Your concern is appreciated.
Have fun. Be safe.
forecast.PNG
forecast.PNG (55.23 KiB) Viewed 2366 times