Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trailhead Status Info Needed

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Trailhead Status Info Needed

Postby TerryLiv » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:40 am

Bill,

What is the status of Silver Pick Basin? Is this route open to the public yet? If not when?

Thanks,

Terry

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:58 am

Silver Pick access info is in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19907&p=238987
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby TerryLiv » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:12 am

Jim Davies wrote:Silver Pick access info is in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19907&p=238987

I assume that you are responding for Bill. I know what that thread says, but I was wondering if there was anything new?

Thanks,

Terry

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:22 pm

You mean since April? Doubtful.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby yantis97 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:32 pm

I think this is the right place to ask but i was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is camping at Guanella Pass? I am planning on climbing Bierstadt and then cross the sawtooth and head to evans and drop down so i dont have to go over the sawtooth on the way back. i will do this with my sister. but i want to know about camping at the trailhead because we were planing on watching the sunsise on Bierstadt.

So just asking about camping at trailhead. :)

Postby MountainHiker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:28 pm

yantis97 wrote:I think this is the right place to ask but i was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is camping at Guanella Pass? I am planning on climbing Bierstadt and then cross the sawtooth and head to evans and drop down so i dont have to go over the sawtooth on the way back. i will do this with my sister. but i want to know about camping at the trailhead because we were planing on watching the sunsise on Bierstadt.

So just asking about camping at trailhead. :)

I have slept in the vehicle in the parking lot, but you won’t be allowed to pitch a tent or look like you are camping. The are some organized and informal sites along the Guanella Pass road. I would expect availability issues that close to the city. If your vehicle is one you can sleep in, that could be your most dependable option.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby shoes untied » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Drove Stevens Gulch Road to the Grays/Torrey's trailhead this past Wednesday 8/17/11. Because there has been a lot of discussion about it's condition, I had my son run a flip video cam during parts of the trip. Fast forward the video half way point if you want to see the worse parts. The video isn't great quality and doesn't really do justice but you can see by the video jumping around that it was a rough ride for our Volvo XC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtiUiUB8L8M

Several have mentioned that the road is better than in past years and a low clearance car can make it. I thought it was in pretty poor condition and would not take a low clearance car. The dark blue SUV you see in front of me go stuck at one point. We were able to make it though though by learning from their attempt. At one point, I had a Saab 9-3 behind me. After the SUV got temporarily stuck, I could see they were thinking about leaving. However, after returning from the climb, I did see the car in the trail head lot. My guess is they had no choice because at the point they could have turned around, the road was only one car width wide and they would have had to wait several hours for the morning uphill rush subside. I have to believe though that this car had substantial under body scraping.

Postby duncanmil » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:46 pm

I am hoping to climb Blanca and Ellingwood this Friday. Could someone share with me how far up a stock Jeep Wrangler could make it on the Como Lake road?
Thanks

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:57 pm

duncanmil wrote: Could someone share with me how far up a stock Jeep Wrangler could make it on the Como Lake road?

Someone? How 'bout everyone who has ever posted here?

search.php?keywords=lake+como+road&terms=all
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Wildernessjane » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:19 am

duncanmil wrote:I am hoping to climb Blanca and Ellingwood this Friday. Could someone share with me how far up a stock Jeep Wrangler could make it on the Como Lake road?
Thanks

We made it up to Jaws I in a stock Jeep Wrangler. There is a pull off on the right hand side of the road where you can leave your vehicle.

Previous