Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Let's see your black & whites!!

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Let's see your black & whites!!

Postby HikerDan75 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:37 pm

These are really great pictures. This may be a stupid question, but how do you decrease you pic's file size so it can be uploaded? I'm new to the posting thing.
Nil sine numine

Postby vonmackle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm

HikerDan75 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but how do you decrease you pic's file size so it can be uploaded? I'm new to the posting thing.

Not a stupid question at all. There are a few options out there. Here's a link to a thread with some ideas. I resize my photos when I export my images from Lightroom. A lot of people that have photos on other photo sharing sites or blogs just link their photos using the 'Img' button. No resizing needed in that case.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Postby HikerDan75 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Thank you for the link, I'll take a look. I hope to share some pictures soon.
Nil sine numine

Postby Johnson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 am

Not worthy but here is one: Image
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Mindy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Johnson - Not worthy! That is a cool shot. Great composition, of course. Moody. Thanks for sharing.

vonmackle - the scream is also a great shot, well done all around. Consider http://denverarts.org/call_for_entries/call_for_entries_it_s_all_here_in_bw.

Postby vonmackle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:49 am

Pinecone
_MG_3974.jpg
_MG_3974.jpg (222.95 KiB) Viewed 700 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Postby TomM » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Where was this taken?

Johnson wrote:Not worthy but here is one:

Postby Johnson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:49 pm

TomM wrote:Where was this taken?

Johnson wrote:Not worthy but here is one:

"Jacksonville, FL?" I lived in Kingsland for a short while....

This was taken on the way back from climbing Jupiter Mountain in the San Juans.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Barry, that is one of the best compositions I've seen recently.

The railroad ties act as leading lines, taking the viewer from the foreground right to the cabin door - and the on to the mysteries of the tunnel.

The eye is drawn first to the cabin, then to the tunnel, then back to the cabin. The monochrome removes the distracting element of color from the composition, allowing the full impact of composition and juxtaposition of shapes.

I particularly like the curving lines of the rails, the tension between the three major elements in the composition, and the placement of elements within the composition.

Very, very nice.

Postby Johnson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:36 pm

That is very kind of you Jim. The day was a bit of a blur but Unclegar and I were having fun stealing ideas for shots. I think this was my idea but it could have been his. He is more honest than I am so maybe he will see this and weigh in.

Postby Papillon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Johnson wrote:That is very kind of you Jim. The day was a bit of a blur but Unclegar and I were having fun stealing ideas for shots. I think this was my idea but it could have been his. He is more honest than I am so maybe he will see this and weigh in.

That is a nice shot, Barry. Did you guys flip the crate sitting inside that cabin? There is a bit of history there...
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby Johnson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Papillon wrote:
Johnson wrote:That is very kind of you Jim. The day was a bit of a blur but Unclegar and I were having fun stealing ideas for shots. I think this was my idea but it could have been his. He is more honest than I am so maybe he will see this and weigh in.

That is a nice shot, Barry. Did you guys flip the crate sitting inside that cabin? There is a bit of history there...

No, we didn't.... don't want to derail the thread but what is the history?

PreviousNext