night sky pictures

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Re: night sky pictures

Post by vonmackle »

Since I see quite a few comments on here about photos not being worthy for posting, I decided I'd dig up a couple of my first efforts in night sky photography. My wife and I were on a trip out to Yosemite in 2010 and stayed a night in Great Basin National Park. After reading that it was one of the darkest night sky spots in the country, I decided to give night photography a shot. Here's what I got:
GreatBasin_1.jpg
GreatBasin_1.jpg (47.29 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
GreatBasin_2.jpg
GreatBasin_2.jpg (52.69 KiB) Viewed 4214 times

To make a badly-focused story short, anything is worth posting. It's not a competition. Post away!
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
Mightycasey
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mightycasey »

So obviously I am slow to see this but man I enjoy night photography. It's fun to do some light painting and sometimes it just comes together without having to do that but you never know exactly what it is going to look like. More like the film days. I have been doing it for awhile, but it looks as though from what I see, most of you are on the right track. Fair warning, it is addicting! Not only is it helpful to shoot at high elevation because of the clearer skies and usually less light pollution but the colder temps keep the sensor cooled down and therefore reduce the noise of a longer exposure. In warmer temps you usually have to break it up and keep it under 10min or so, but in the winter, you can get away with quite a bit longer depending on your camera.

The problem with shooting night photography is that it is so dramatic that traditional, naturally lit daylight photos can start to look boring.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Here's a little Aurora Borealis, take in February at 64 degree North Latitude, during a nice convenient solar flare... my wife jumping for joy!
Attachments
aurora_jump4.jpg
aurora_jump4.jpg (179.78 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Bertina and I did a midnight hike up to Delicate Arch when we were in Arches last May. Seeing the arch bathed in moonlight was one of the most awe-inspiring experiences I've had, and the two of us had the entire hike all to ourselves. The only negative was the fact that the park was surrounded by the kind of air pollution you'd find in the city. The moon turned an ugly shade of brown and dimmed significantly as it approached the horizon.

ImageDelicate Arch by Moonlight, Arches National Park, Utah by CameronMillerPhotography, on Flickr
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Awesome pic, Vonmackle. Do you mind sharing tech details of this shot? Focal length, ISO, shutter speed and aperture?
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

climbing_rob wrote:Awesome pic, Vonmackle. Do you mind sharing tech details of this shot? Focal length, ISO, shutter speed and aperture?
Thanks, Rob.

Here are the juicy details:
Focal length: 24mm
ISO: 1600
Shutter Speed: 20 sec
Aperture:2.8
Processed in Lightroom 5
Favorite Burrito: Big City Burrito's Potato Burrito on a tomato chile tortilla with onions, spicy green salsa, chipotle ranch, and sour cream.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

You all might be interested in a photo contest that includes a night time category... http://www.sharetheexperience.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Have REALLY enjoyed the stuff and stories posted on this!
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

vonmackle wrote:
climbing_rob wrote:Awesome pic, Vonmackle. Do you mind sharing tech details of this shot? Focal length, ISO, shutter speed and aperture?
Thanks, Rob.

Here are the juicy details:
Focal length: 24mm
ISO: 1600
Shutter Speed: 20 sec
Aperture:2.8
Processed in Lightroom 5
Favorite Burrito: Big City Burrito's Potato Burrito on a tomato chile tortilla with onions, spicy green salsa, chipotle ranch, and sour cream.
I'm now inspired and hungry. Nice work, Vonmackle.
NickRhyne
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NickRhyne »

Taken about an hour after sunset in RMNP, off Trail Ridge Road. Stars were coming out as a lightning storm was going on east of the front range.

Amateur photographer who loves hiking and backpacking.

http://www.500px.com/nickhenderson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jlarocco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jlarocco »

Taken in LCW in June:
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

NickRhyne wrote:Taken about an hour after sunset in RMNP, off Trail Ridge Road. Stars were coming out as a lightning storm was going on east of the front range.
Nice one, Nick.

My wife and I camped near American Lakes over the weekend, and I managed to stumble out of my tent and up a hill at 2:30 in the morning to take a few shots. Here's one of the Milky Way over Static Peak:

ImageMilky Way Over Static Peak, State Forest State Park, Colorado by CameronMillerPhotography, on Flickr
jlarocco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jlarocco »

I was having focus issues and my lens kept fogging up, but I managed to get a few good shots at the top of Hoosier Pass Friday night: