night sky pictures

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Re: night sky pictures

Post by mattpayne11 »

jameseroni wrote:Just getting into this.... is it true that it's hard on the sensor in the camera if the exposure is greater than 5 minutes? Is a special filter required for longer exposure times?
First I've heard of that.
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was hard on the old film SLR's, but I would bet that with 'modern' cameras, it's a non-issue.
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

I have heard about sensors getting overloaded during long exposures. I must have read it on a photography forum but don't recall where. I would be curious to know for sure. I would think with a full format camera there should be no problem.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

jameseroni wrote:Just getting into this.... is it true that it's hard on the sensor in the camera if the exposure is greater than 5 minutes? Is a special filter required for longer exposure times?
I think the issue with long exposures in low light photography tends to be excessive noise. I'm guessing that's why people stack several shorter exposures to create star trails.
Leaving the sensor exposed for extended periods in daylight can overheat the sensor and cause image degradation. I have experienced this when shooting in live view for too long.

I don't use any filters at night...my good lens only opens up to f4, so I need all the light I can get.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Yep, although sensor noise does not mean that the sensor is damaged, just that it is "hot."

I would not be concerned unless your long exposure is shooting at the sun...
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Thought I'd post my most recent nightscape - a 360 pano of the Milky Way and a cabin near Grand Mesa, Colorado.

Milky Way and the Grand Mesa cabin by Matt-Payne, on Flickr
shaberer0511
14ers: 27 
13ers: 9 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shaberer0511 »

Fantastic pictures. Matt Payne, yours are truly incredible. I am starting to take night sky pictures and I was just wondering what kind of settings/shutter speeds you use. I have taken a few but all I can see is the big dipper. Any pointers? I will try to post my picture.
Last edited by shaberer0511 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

shaberer0511 wrote:Fantastic pictures. Matt Payne, yours are truly incredible. I am starting to take night sky pictures and I was just wondering what kind of settings/shutter speeds you use. I have taken a few but all I can see is the big dipper. Any pointers? I will try to post my picture.
Thanks.

You need a tripod for starters.

You also need a decent camera and lens. The lower the f stop the better (on the lens). I use a f/2.8 lens for most my night shots... with 30 second exposures... ISO 800-3200.
shaberer0511
14ers: 27 
13ers: 9 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shaberer0511 »

Thanks! I will give that a shot. I have a Sony DSLR camera with two lenses ranging from 18-200 mm.
letourneau41
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letourneau41 »

Would a lense with an fstop of 4 be low enough to get a decent shot? Or should I try to get to the 2.8 range.
Every man Dies, but not every man truly lives.
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

letourneau41 wrote:Would a lense with an fstop of 4 be low enough to get a decent shot? Or should I try to get to the 2.8 range.
You can do that, but ideally f 2.8

This has some great info that should get you started to help you think in terms of f and shutter speed and ISO (the exposure triangle).

http://theamusing.com/photography/startrails.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ryanmicj
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ryanmicj »

I shot this Sunday 8/20 from the Grays Peak trail head:

f/5.6 (not sure why I wasn't using something lower...)
30 second exposure
ISO 6400

Its not the greatest, but its not bad for only my second night out. I'd love some feedback/suggestions for improvements, though.
Last edited by ryanmicj on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.