night sky pictures

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Re: night sky pictures

Post by Steve Gio »

Matt stop it already! You're making me wat to camp out without a tent. :-D
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Milky Way and Encroaching City Lights Over Lone Eagle Peak
LoneEagle-2703.jpg
LoneEagle-2703.jpg (115.8 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Lincoln by Moonlight
NorthStar-3614.jpg
NorthStar-3614.jpg (145.2 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Paint Mines during the Geminid Meteor Shower

Explored #95 Gemind Meteor Shower by Matt-Payne, on Flickr
upndown
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by upndown »

mattpayne11 wrote:Paint Mines during the Geminid Meteor Shower
Matt, that is a fantastic shot! Could I talk you into sharing any of the exposure details?
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Agreed! That is a spectacular shot (or shots). I'd love to hear how you did it. I tried but failed to do a shutter exposure over 50 seconds without having the stars turn into star trails. Amazing that you could catch a dozen meteors and still have the Milky Way remain tack-sharp.
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

upndown wrote:
mattpayne11 wrote:Paint Mines during the Geminid Meteor Shower
Matt, that is a fantastic shot! Could I talk you into sharing any of the exposure details?
Thanks guys.

So, this was shot using the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 @ f/2.8... 30 second exposures at ISO 3200, I think 180+ exposures? Actually thought I'd get more than 12 meteors but I'm happy with the result.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Very cool. I'd love to learn more. How do you stack 180 photos? Is it easiest to think of this as two separate images -- one with the 180 photos of the sky / stars, and one with the rocks? How do you paste the sky photo onto the rock photo?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Sweet image!

I saw the other star-trails image you had on Flickr and it looks like that one had the entire sequence?

For the image in this thread, I assume you made it in one of two ways:
1) One shot had all of those meteorites! Wow, that would be incredible
2) You used one shot as a base image so you didn't have any star trails and then took each of the other images containing meteorites and overlaid the base layer. After that, I assume, you would have had to mask out (erase) the stars (but not the meteorites) on the additional layers. At least that's my guess.

Very cool result.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

This I took back during the last week of Sept. while on a fall foliage trip in Colorado. I was not looking to make night shots and really tried to use the night for setting up camp and resting since I was there for only a week and wanted to do as many sunsets and sunrises as possible along with some daylight shots.

Maroon Bells, waiting for the sun to rise. Got there early to get a good spot for the sunrise.
424A0941.jpg
424A0941.jpg (342.68 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
Wilson Peak
424A1492-3.jpg
424A1492-3.jpg (234.23 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Another Maroon Bells.
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Sweet image!

I saw the other star-trails image you had on Flickr and it looks like that one had the entire sequence?

For the image in this thread, I assume you made it in one of two ways:
1) One shot had all of those meteorites! Wow, that would be incredible
2) You used one shot as a base image so you didn't have any star trails and then took each of the other images containing meteorites and overlaid the base layer. After that, I assume, you would have had to mask out (erase) the stars (but not the meteorites) on the additional layers. At least that's my guess.

Very cool result.
Yup Bill, #2 is right. Some other meteor shower photogs go an extra step and rotate the meteors so that they have a single point of origin.