Let's See Your Aerial Photos

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Let's See Your Aerial Photos

Post by Neil »

Chicago Transplant wrote:Cool shot, but isn't that Humboldt?
Nice catch!
EricB wrote:Rio Grande Pyramid:
AWESOME shot of Rio Grande! Cool how you can see the Window on the ridge to the left.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

Threads like this is why I hang around hiking forums. Great thread !

Maybe I should take more photos from my flights, The ones I took in the past would just give me glare from the window so I don't take photos from jets anymore. Is there a trick ?

Anyhoo, here are a couple I took from a helicopter ride from Golden, BC to our Alpine Club of Canada camp in the Canadian Rockies in 2004:

If you click on those it is actually a link to my webshots where you can see I tried to take several more photos that turned out miserably. This cheesed me off when I saw the photos because the helicopter had a glass floor (it is normally an SAR copter). The reason I got front seat is I got coptered in a day later then the group because my gear got stuck in customs so I could not fly in with the main group. Only by dumb luck was I able to go at all, one of the guides had a wedding to attend so he could not fly in with the main group either. So this extra flight was available the next day. Moral of the story is leave a buffer day for your gear to get stuck in customs when flying into Canada from the USA.

EricB , I love your Kang Yatze photo. I was trekking there in 2007, we did an acclimatization hike up to the snow line on that mountain (later climbed Stok Kangri). Loved the Delhi to Leh flight for viewing mountains, do you have other ariel photos from that ?
Best Regards
EricB
14ers: 2 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EricB »

jrbren_vt wrote: EricB , I love your Kang Yatze photo. I was trekking there in 2007, we did an acclimatization hike up to the snow line on that mountain (later climbed Stok Kangri). Loved the Delhi to Leh flight for viewing mountains, do you have other ariel photos from that ?
We did the Markha Valley trek last summer. Here are a few more photos from the flight in to Leh:

Random Himalaya:

Random Himalaya:

Stok Kangri (~20,000 feet) with village of Stok below:

Another view of Stok Kangri as the plane does a steeply descending 180 degree turn to land at Leh's airport:
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

Great thread ... and some great shots! Here are some of mine:

Colorado Rockies:

Sawatch:

Red Rocks on the Front Range:

Monument Valley:

Rainier:

Oahu:

San Juan Islands, WA:

jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I had some good shots of Pikes with the Sawatch in the background while coming into DIA from the south. But I lost them in a hard drive crash ](*,)
Great thread, I love me some aerial shots!
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

Bill- Added the photos. I'll add more when I have time; lots to wade through.

Neil- I flew the 1900D at my old job. I currently fly a Piaggio Avanti.

Antero

Chair Mountain, Elk

Neil
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Furthermore -- Very cool...the Avanti is such a sweet machine. The Italians did a fine job. By chance, do you fly out of KBJC? I regularly see an Avanti there. Anyway, and I'm sorry to be a little forward, but is there any chance we could meet up and look at the plane up-close sometime? If you don't want to mess with than, then no worries. I'm just a plane junky and the Avanti is one I've always admired. Either way, thanks for the great contributions to this thread!

Neil
-Driving Song
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

These are awesome pictures. I always request a window seat when I fly places. I have two questions though. 1. Some of these pictures are clearly taken from a small air craft. I was under the impression you had to be on oxygen above 10 or 11 thousand feet. You can tell that most shots were taken from higher up, because you are looking down on the peaks. 2. How do you get a seat with clean windows, are these shots from "first class" if so, then I'm screwed, because I'm a "back of the buss" kind of flyer.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
Neil
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

bking14ers wrote:Some of these pictures are clearly taken from a small air craft. I was under the impression you had to be on oxygen above 10 or 11 thousand feet.
Great question bking14ers, that is very relevant for small aircraft pilots. Under the Federal Aviation Regulations, the following rules apply for non-pressurized aircraft:

1. If flying above 12,500 ft. up to and including 14,000 ft., supplemental oxygen is requred to be used by the required flight crew (usually only the pilot) for any part of the flight at those altitudes that lasts longer than 30 minutes;

2. If flying above 14,000 ft. the required flight crew has to have and use supplemental oxygen at all times; and

3. If flying above 15,000 ft., each occupant of the airplane must be provided (but not necessarily use) supplemental oxygen.

Now, those are the rules. I can't speak for myself, but I know they are not always followed, especially by pilots who are flying with other pilots and understand their physiological reaction to altitudes at or near those listed above. For example, I know a number of pilots who will fly at 13,000 feet for an hour, or at 14,500 feet, without oxygen. Whether that is a safe practice is not my decision to judge and those pilots I know who do this are not opperating commercial flights. That being said, supplemental oxygen for quick trips in small aircract is not very expensive and some aircraft that have service ceilings higher than these altitudes have built-in oxygen stations.
-Driving Song
Eric14er
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Eric14er »

Mount Crested Butte on a DEN - LAX flight.

Neil
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Eric14er wrote:Mount Crested Butte on a DEN - LAX flight.
Nice Eric! Very unique ski mountain, especially from the air.
-Driving Song
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Absolutely awesome alpine aerial pics! These birds'-eye views make me drool all over my keyboard! And the spectacular elevated vantage points make me want to learn to fly just to see the 14ers from above. Thanks for sharing these amazing photos... :wink:
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius