Winterizing DSLR

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bill Cummings
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Winterizing DSLR

Post by Bill Cummings »

I use--and recommend--this as my second-string camera, and the one I usually carry when I'm climbing:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... amera.html
It is Canon's highest-capability (& priced) P&S and has a number of good features:
- it's small and lightweight
- shoots RAW (an absolute must for me)
- accepts filters, with an adapter (another absolute must for shooting in the mountains--polarizer and ND grad)
- good control and customization options
- good telephoto capability (though a little shy on the wide-angle end)
- don't have to worry about abusing your precious DSLR
- non-removable lens (which is an advantage in extreme conditions--you don't want to be changing lenses if very cold, windy, dusty, moist, etc.).
It's good enough for most conditions (up to about 11X14" enlargements) that it can replace a DSLR.

I also like davey_rocket's suggestions on the camera "prophylactic" and the spare battery in a pocket. Hand warmers are a good idea, too.
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I do nothing, just take it along. I'm faster taking out my SLR than a P&S, and the quality is worth it. Really, why would I be dragging along my SLR when there's no snow anyway? Walking, hahawoo.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
BlueKhan wrote:I noticed yesterday that Dick's had handwarmer's on sale. I was thinking of buying some to throw in my camera case to keep things warm...any thoughts?
Probably not a bad idea.

FWIW, here's my system. May not work for everyone. In winter, I can usually get away with one set of light gloves. (REI all-season gloves in XL so they allow plenty of circulation.) I can usually work the camera with no problem with these gloves. Then I have a set of mitts, in XL. If it's quite cold, I'll wear the mitts over the light gloves, with the leashes on. The little P&S is in the hip belt pocket of the Osprey pack. When it's time to shoot, I pull the mitts, let them hang by the leashes, the gloves are still on so no exposed skin, and with the light gloves I'm able to get the camera out quickly, get the shots, and get it back into the hip pocket. Then the mitts go back on.

I also use a P&S with full manual. A little trickier to work with the gloves, but still manageable with the two-layer system.

PS - this system also works for rock and mixed handholds in winter - then belaying with the full mitts. All the while, the camera is out of the way until it's needed.
Nice suggestions Jim.
areed20
14ers: 50  5  8 
13ers: 74 7 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by areed20 »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was considering just leaving the SLR and taking a point and shoot but I would like to try out a system to see if I enjoy it. I will try out a couple of different systems and see what I like. Thanks again for the advice.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Steve Gio wrote:Nice shot! Is that A-Basin?
Yes. Tree Chutes of the East Wall.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I can also recommend the Canon G12. The photo quality is almost as high as a DSLR and it is much easier to transport. I take my Canon Rebel on the easier 14ers and the Canon G12 on the more difficult ones.

The following photos and video were all shot on the Canon G12 this summer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-J2RjSddas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

areed20 wrote:What is the best method for taking care of your DSLR in winter conditions, specifically in blowing snow and wind? Also, how much does the cold temperatures affect DSLRs? I got one for my photography class earlier this semester and when I am home for Thanksgiving, I would like to take it up with me. For a camera newbie, what is the best method for taking care of your DSLR during a winter climb?
areed20 wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. I was considering just leaving the SLR and taking a point and shoot but I would like to try out a system to see if I enjoy it. I will try out a couple of different systems and see what I like. Thanks again for the advice.
You're probably already back here in CO with or without your SLR so timely this is not. And this isn't meant to be advice since experiences may differ. I just wanted to say that I've taken ~100K photos with a D40, D90, and D7000 in all kinds of conditions. A thousand of the pics were taken in blowing snow and frigid cold. I carry and use my SLR the same no matter the time of year. It's in a holster kept on my hip belt. I carry a small synthetic chamois in a pocket to wipe down the lens and body when it gets wet. I keep a lens cleaning cloth in another pocket to use on the glass. An extra battery or two are stored in another pocket. I've dropped all three cameras in snow, wiped them down, and kept on shooting. Haven't had a problem.