Printing fine art - where do the seasoned pros go?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Printing fine art - where do the seasoned pros go?

Post by rking007 »

As a budding outdoors photographer I feel like I'm at the point where I'd like to start printing some of my shots. I have an opportunity to display a few things I've done at a restaurant called Great Beginnings Cafe down in Parker and I was wondering from the pros that post here regularly, where do you get your printing and framing done? Printer choice, paper choices, favorite framer or anything else I should know? For me personally, I like to custom crop my pics to accentuate curve or depth or meaning so I know that's going to be a bit of a challenge (I'll try and post an example in a bit)... Any suggestions or tips are appreciated and as always, thanks!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Printing fine art - where do the seasoned pros go?

Post by geojed »

Here's some local "seasoned pros":

John Fielder - http://www.johnfielder.com/home.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jody Grigg - http://www.jodygrigg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jack Brauer - http://www.widerange.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kane Engelbert - http://www.kaephotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I'm not a pro but everything in my house is stuff I've printed and framed myself. My advice is definitely learn how to frame things yourself. You'll save a ton of money. Many of my frames were bought from this site:

http://www.framedestination.com/

They will custom make any size frame and mat you want if it's not standard. I have a framed 12x36 pano in my house that used one of their frames. For larger prints acrylic is better than glass since it weighs a lot less. You have to be careful working with it though as it will scratch more easily. Non-glare acrylic might be good as well since you'll be displaying in a cafe that I would assume has bright lights. I know a member of this site that has displayed (and sold) work with frames bought from Michaels too if you aren't that picky.

I do all my printing from Mpix and have been very happy with everything I've gotten through them. They have a ton of print size choices available.

http://www.mpix.com/

As an amateur that's my advice if it's worth anything. :D
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Jon Frohlich wrote: I do all my printing from Mpix and have been very happy with everything I've gotten through them. They have a ton of print size choices available.

http://www.mpix.com/
Nice site. =D> I'll think of using them with my next print.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
krs1
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by krs1 »

Full disclosure,I am a weekend warrior photographer. I've used this local (Denver) imaging shop numerous times and I have been quite pleased with thier prints/productions. Talk to the sales staff they may be able to save you some cost on printing depending on the size of the image and re-prints:

http://www.reedphoto.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did several gallery mounts from an Alps this past summer, and I found it to to be a more cost effective means to framing i.e. no glare-free glass. The gallery mounts remove all the distraction of the matte, frame and the glass. I prefer the gallery float over the flat as it gives the image more depth. The laminate does give the image a bit of a different feel, but I'm getting use to it. Also, you can do all sorts of custom sizing.

http://www.reedphoto.com/index.php?opti ... 91&clk=img" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I second the thought of learning how to frame your images it will save you tons of cash in the long run.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

krs1 wrote: I did several gallery mounts from an Alps this past summer, and I found it to to be a more cost effective means to framing i.e. no glare-free glass. The gallery mounts remove all the distraction of the matte, frame and the glass. I prefer the gallery float over the flat as it gives the image more depth. The laminate does give the image a bit of a different feel, but I'm getting use to it. Also, you can do all sorts of custom sizing.
Did you have Reed Photo do the gallery mounts or did you do them yourself? I really like the look but it doesn't seem like something I could do at home.
krs1
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by krs1 »

John-

Reed Photo did the production of the gallery mounts for me, I'm not quite sure it would be something that you could do at home without some serious capital cost for the equipment.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

I've used MPIX in the past and have generally liked their results. They ship well too, I have a friend who get's up to poster sizes with them and she has never had a damaged shipment. I have found that with them specifically (and probably with most online printers), if you need a custom size the best thing to do is set up your Photoshop file as a standard size (ie 11x14) and then put your custom sized image in that (8x14 for example), then they will print it as an 11x14 and your image is completely there but with borders which is no big deal if you get a custom cut matte or cut it. Otherwise, you are stuck with cropping your image to their size availability thus, loosing part of your image.

I'd love to do some gallery wraps but again, with custom cropping, I can't find anyone that would do them. It seems that everyone only has a stock list of sizes available.

Another thing I'm wondering about is printers and quality. Seems like there are a few super high end printers that some companies use and you definitely pay for it but do you really gain much by using them? Examples: Lightjet 5000 or Chromira 5X which prints to Fuji Crystal Archive museum quality papers... etc.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I started using Reed Photo last year for photo competitions and I've been very impressed with their prints. They have a nice little studio displaying the many options available for printing. I would highly recommend dropping by their studio sometime because there are a ton options available.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

I've actually heard of Reed photo, but haven't used them so I'll have to try them out to compare. Up to this point though I've used Denver Pro Photo and have liked the job they've done for me (although they don't print canvases), so I'll have to see how reed photo does on that one.
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

Do any of these places print on canvas? I've just started stretching my own prints on canvas. It's a great way to display your art.
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

gurlyclimber wrote:Do any of these places print on canvas? I've just started stretching my own prints on canvas. It's a great way to display your art.
Reed does, they're a bit pricey but you never have to question the quality. There are also groupons available for canvas prints (different companies) but can't speak to the quality. I just bought this groupon for photoboards...I really like the idea.

http://www.groupon.com/amarillo/ch/good ... and-blocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;