Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Above the Camels...

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Above the Camels...

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:31 pm

The famed "Kissing Camels," Garden of the Gods, as seen from the west side, North Gateway summit, March 28, 2012.

Re: Above the Camels...

Postby MikeyC » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Cool picture! That is one of my favorite places to go. I really need to get down to the springs soon!

-Mike

Postby Brian C » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Nice photo! Surprised you can't see the glue keeping em together from this angel. I need to get back down there soon.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:22 pm

Brian, that poor north Camel is really held into place. The left block in the photo has a ton of chinking under it. True, you can't see it from this angle. I suppose the next step is drilling holes and cementing in rebar.

Long live the Camels!! : )

Postby KentonB » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:14 pm

I'm not much of a technical climber, but I've been itching to climb North Gate rock for a while. Can you give any details on the ascent? How would it be for a novice climber? I assume you went up the Tourist Trap Gully?

Great picture!

Postby rangerdrew » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:22 pm

How we went up: We took the Tourist Gully up which dropped us off on a substantial ledge. We walked along the ledge to a "bouldering" problem. It's probably 8 feet tall; getting down it was a little more challenging as I recall. I used a few smaller cams (BD .5-1 and/or some TCUs) to belay the second through that section. Turn left. Then it's just a scramble as I recall, maybe a little exposure. I used a BD 2 or 3 for "security" when on top, but that was for the second's peace of mind. A super light rack will be fine. ...I didn't see any answers, and MP didn't have anything. Hope this helps. Maybe a COS climber will see it and give you something more to work with.

Probably goes without saying, but make sure you get climbing permits at the visitor center, use colorless chalk if using it, and have some climbing gear in case anyone hassles you.
I don't commute by bicycle everyday out of goodwill for the environment. Although, it is a positive externality. ~rangerdrew

Postby KentonB » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:10 pm

rangerdrew wrote:How we went up: We took the Tourist Gully up which dropped us off on a substantial ledge. We walked along the ledge to a "bouldering" problem. It's probably 8 feet tall; getting down it was a little more challenging as I recall. I used a few smaller cams (BD .5-1 and/or some TCUs) to belay the second through that section. Turn left. Then it's just a scramble as I recall, maybe a little exposure. I used a BD 2 or 3 for "security" when on top, but that was for the second's peace of mind. A super light rack will be fine. ...I didn't see any answers, and MP didn't have anything. Hope this helps. Maybe a COS climber will see it and give you something more to work with.

Probably goes without saying, but make sure you get climbing permits at the visitor center, use colorless chalk if using it, and have some climbing gear in case anyone hassles you.

Thanks! This is great! I heard once that the climb only involved a couple quick technical moves and could probably be done without gear... if it weren't for the city statutes requiring it.

Postby mountainmicah83 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 am

As easy as it is to get up there, I still recommend a rope for at least the bottom pitch or 2. They call it tourist trap gulley for a reason. You climb up all easy and then turn around and OMG... Nice to have that safety even if you are a normal 4th and low 5th class scrambler. Have fun!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby KentonB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:47 am

mountainmicah83 wrote:As easy as it is to get up there, I still recommend a rope for at least the bottom pitch or 2. They call it tourist trap gulley for a reason. You climb up all easy and then turn around and OMG... Nice to have that safety even if you are a normal 4th and low 5th class scrambler. Have fun!

Understood... and thanks! If nothing else, I'm compelled by the thousands of tourists watching below not to make a fool of myself. :-)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:22 am

Be sure to have a current valid permit, and read and follow the rules. The TG is notorious, and for good reason.

New seasonal closures affecting North Gateway went into effect as of April 1, 2012. Written information is provided with the permit.

Front Range Climbing is also a very knowledgeable and experienced resource regarding the Garden; highly recommended.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:54 am

Moonrise, Colorado Springs.

Moonrise, Camels, Garden of the Gods.

Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby KentonB » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Be sure to have a current valid permit, and read and follow the rules. The TG is notorious, and for good reason.

New seasonal closures affecting North Gateway went into effect as of April 1, 2012. Written information is provided with the permit.

Front Range Climbing is also a very knowledgeable and experienced resource regarding the Garden; highly recommended.

Thanks! And much appreciated. I've heard numerous stories of folks being rescued from that gully... including one in The Gazette just last week! As I stated earlier, my technical climbing skills are pretty limited. I've got a couple (more experienced) friends who will be going with me... but one of them has a torn calf muscle so we likely won't make it until next Fall.

Out of curiosity, I noticed Lists of John classifies Grey Rock to the south as a Class 5.0 climb as well. Any idea of the best approach to keeping it at that level?

Next