Camera Suggestions

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Camera Suggestions

Post by pseudoghost »

G12 has a bigger sensor, but much less zoom. Translation: better image quality, but significantly less versatility. Even with a larger sensor, you're likely going to be much better off with either the original Canon or the Sony because the zoom effectively allows you to bring subjects closer up than any reasonable amount of cropping that you can accomplish with the G12.

Really, we're talking about details here. No camera is perfect, each one has it's various trade offs. Any of the three cameras will be great unless you plan on printing posters all the time. If you only plan on occassionally blowing up an image, and you're fine with it not looking fantastic under a magnifying glass, then the Sony or original Canon will suit you fine. Honestly, you'd have to buy thousands of dollars worth of lenses and cart around a 20lb bag for a DSLR to match the versatility that either camera brings in such a small package. Will the image be as good as a DSLR? Probably not. But again, unless you're trying to get very specific shots, or print very large prints, you won't even be able to tell.
Above+Beyond
14ers: 30 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above+Beyond »

pseudoghost wrote: Don't believe the 18MP hype though, it won't make a big difference.
For emphasis. The pixels are now so small in the PnS cameras that there is no mass produced lens with anywhere near that level of resolving power. The actual image, which may be diffraction limited at very short focal lengths (and with high aperture numbers), is being way over-sampled. The increased amount of digitization noise this causes is not good, but people think more megapixels equates to more better so they pay for it even if it's not really any better. This is why their JPG engines are the way they are.

All other things being equal, the key to picture quality is sensor size. I shoot 4x5 film, which is a TRUE 30-50 megapixels (or more), and it's an order of magnitude better than PnS.
And beauty will go savage in the secret mountains. - Robinson Jeffers
trektheworld
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trektheworld »

I too am looking for a new point and shoot and have always liked the Panasonic ZS series and am looking at the ZS15. I've always liked their decent ability to shoot in low light as well as their clarity. I've not been too impressed with the video quality however and would like full 1080 shooting for video. I want something with SD card capability since I have so many already. Really - i;ve been doing so much research on other options my head is spinning. I can't seem to bite the bullet and branch out to a Canon, Nikon, or Olympus (these are the 3 brands I'm willing to try) point and shoot because I just really don't know how they compare to Panasonic. Everyone seems to like the ZS series that reviews it.

I just want a nice, sub $250 point and shoot that will fit in my hip belt zipper for hikes and also take great photos of my kid indoors, etc. etc....

I've got a canon DLSR but i'm so sick of lugging that thing around...
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Wanted to bump this, as I'm looking for a sub $300 camera...should I go point and shoot or other? Basically what's the best camera I can get under $300?
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

You can get a new Canon S100 on Amazon for $219. I paid a lot more for mine a while back, but really like the camera's features, size, weight, etc. I'd also pick up a spare battery and case, still putting you under $300.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

The S110 is the new S100 correct?
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yorksman »

Check out this site for camera reviews.
uwe
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Hi,

Cool, I am looking for a camera, too.
Currently down to one of two cameras:
Canon G16 & Sony DSC RX100.
Both highly rated for upper end point and shoot cameras.
Most reviews give Sony DSC RX100 the edge.
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Yes. And a lot more money.
Canon G16 & Sony DSC RX100
The Sony (and its newer version) are nice, but way over the $300 limit. The G16 is also nice, but bigger, heavier and yes, much more expensive.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

painless4u2 wrote:
Yes. And a lot more money.
I just got the S110 on sale at best buy for $219. Excellent camera.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pseudoghost »

The S110 is a nice camera, but I prefer the SX280 as it has more zoom. It's important to understand, that you can't get the best shots ever with a super zoom because of the trade offs associated with the lens, but you can still take some pretty good shots from far away, which you wouldn't be able to take otherwise.

You'll never get close to a DSLR or even a Micro 4/3s, but consider how small these cameras are and how much weight you really want to carry.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Yeah, the one thing that concerns me about the S110 is the 5x zoom. Can anyone who has it comment on the zoom? Do you find it limiting and would 20x be better for landscapes?